Grandchild proofing with Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by twl845, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I've been investigating Returnil in another thread, and the Retunil site, and the thought occurred to me that it might be just the thing to use when I allow my Grandchildren to surf with my computer. Often after they use my computer I find a new toolbar on my browser or something has been downloaded. Am I right in assuming that I can turn Returnil on just prior to the kid sitting down at my computer, and then turn it off and re-boot right after she gets off the computer, and it will be like she was never on line? :)

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

For all intents and purposes, yes.

Blue

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Yep, but just remember that it only protects your system partition or in other words the partition where you have Windows installed, normally C:. Returnil would be perfect for child proofing a computer.

edit for accuracy

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The other thing you can do with Returnil, if you want to child proof it is neat.

Say you have stuff on your machine you don't want the kids poking in. Set up the virtual partition, and make so it only mounts when you want to mount it, not automatically. Then password protect the GUI. Place the stuff in the virtual partition. That way it can only be accessed by starting the gui with password and mount the partition.

Pete

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You could also try powershadow. It allows you to protect all drives so nothing important will be lost.

6. Peter2150

Also ShadowDefend is another program of the same type. Does allow committing things to the drive though

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You could create a limited account specially for the kid.
    Plus, if you wish, you could play with security policies, disallowing installations, locking the desktop etc.
    Mrk

8. ly8zhong

ly8zhong Registered Member

This function is a weak point for Shadowdefender. It can only cheat the "expert" who do not know how to develop program.

when your system partition(say it is c:\) enters the shadow mode.

Any program that access the files in the system partition(eg. "c:\windows\a.txt") will be re-direct in the blank space in the harddisk. after reboot, it will clean all the changes.(same as the Powershadow).

but you can make a simple program that acess the system partition in this way : "\device\dpshadow\windows\a.txt", all the changes in that file will be saved in the shadow mode.

9. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Not only will it Grandchild proof the computer. It will protect your system when you use it.

10. Peter2150

This has been hashed around quite a bit. Any program, being ShadowDefender, Returnil, FDISR, what ever, has to use some technique to hid/move/whatever to the data. If the program can do it, so can some malicious program. Point is that it's not likely that someone will go to the bother of writing something that will detect these programs and defeat them. There are too many unprotected machines to be bothered.

Pete

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks to all for varifying that for me. I suddenly feel a new power. :D

12. ly8zhong

ly8zhong Registered Member

sorry, I can not find the similar issue with Powershadow, Returnil, Deepfreeze.

13. Peter2150

You may not be able to find it, but it has to be there. They are writing data to the disk someplace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.