GPU acceleration and browsers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If I understand correctly ...

IE 9 will run on Vista and Win7 but not on Win XP.

Firefox 4 will offer GPU acceleration only on Vista and Win7 but the feature will be off by default. What will Firefox offer Mac and Linux users?

And now there are rumours about Chrome 7.

The Secret Of Chrome 7: Hardware Acceleration?

I couldn't make out which OS was used in the tests, but since IE9 was also tested, it would look like a Win7 machine was used. So even Chrome may recommend a move up to Win7o_O

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Good news here:
    Source

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

GPU acceleration is turned ON by default in Firefox 4 beta 5. I hadn't heard that it would be OFF in the "final"...?

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

About Firefox hardware acceleration, see http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/09/hardware-acceleration/.

In beta 5 content hardware acceleration is on by default, can be easily disabled via configuration.

i am using it. In general, it works well, but I am still having occasional "soft" crashes (Windows 7 x64).

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've been lucky so far in terms of crashes. What I do notice is how much more smoothly long web pages full of graphics scroll compared with FF 3.6.9. My essential extensions work in this beta, but I did have to turn off compatibility checking to enable them.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Didn't you didn't see the post after the one you quoted :doubt: ?

The link I gave has more up-to-date information including the war of words between IE & FF.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just read the article you linked. Interesting information, but I'm missing your point. Anyway, IE 9 public may be released tomorrow and that should really increase interest in this topic.

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks vasa1 for news. Numerous softwares have started to use GPU acceleration. Hope it will make browsing even more swift.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

10. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Currently using Chromium build 59910 and running it with "enable-accelerated-2d-canvas" enabled causes stability issues here. Quite often, all tabs across a single domain will give the "Aw, snap" crash error.

Canary produces the same result of course since it's not even fixed in the Chromium builds. Actually, I've had this issue with various Chromium builds for the past week, at least.

I hear it's an issue with certain systems. I'm on Win7 Pro 64-bit with an nvidia graphics card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.