GPL e-Mail providers (free as Freedom and also as in "free beer")

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Amanda, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Since I'm going to completely ditch Google (and gmail), Facebook, Yahoo and Hotmail, I've been looking for a new e-Mail provider, and while some alternatives are good they are ad-based (no privacy on that regard).
    I was going to create a GMX account but I don't want any ad-based product, even when I use AdBlockPlus.
    Hushmail free account only allows for a 25 MB storage so I can't use it.

Note that I will be encrypting most of my e-Mails with GnuPG. In addition, I'll be connected to a VPN service most of the time.

So here I am, looking for a GPL e-Mail provider, if that thing exists. If it doesn't then it could be proprietary, as long as it respects my privacy.

Any help is appreciated.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I like VMEmail. There's a modest one-time fee, payable in Bitcoins, for their bronze accounts. I'm sure that they're not GPL, but they are privacy-friendly. And they also have an .onion address.

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I chose GMX after reading it's privacy policy.

Now I need to chose between Thunderbird or Evolution. Thunderbird is by far the easiest, but I'm not yet trusting it's "Enigmail" add-on.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Thunderbird....Evolution has a way to go yet, has to grow. Evolution just can't match thunderbirds specs yet.

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

After reading nasty things about GMX I decided to go to autistici.org. I filled up an application and got my account activated 6 hours later :)
    Now everything's perfect.

EDIT = To be more perfect, my riseup account just got approved!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.