Gotta give Google A for effort

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I just did a speedtest and came across this.
    google.png

At first glance it looks like another one of those ads spread all over various websites about speeding up your browsing. But then again, the context is completely different. It's right next to a speedtest results and falsely (most likely on puprose) gives the user the thought that using Chrome will speed up your internet connection if you think the result was "TOO SLOW?".

Anyone else think this is a bit cheap(borderline false advertising)? They must be paying up good to OOKLA.

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

It is a bit misleading in the sense that Google Chrome isn't going to make your internet download speed any faster. It can't change the speeds that your ISP provides you with. However, maybe the ad is arguing that Google Chrome provides an overall snappier feel to the web because of the superior ways it can download webpages.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Eh, really, at this point who cares? Google is Google. They know they can get away with a lot (In the U.S at least). If IE popped up in that, there would be hell to pay. I worry far more about the other things Google does than some stupid ad on a speed test website.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Ok well, it was only to see peoples opinions no offense intended to anyone. :)

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No offense taken here, Funky. That wasn't a shot at you :) I'm just at the point now where I've seen so much BS from Google and read so many "exclusives" and "exposes" regarding corporate practices, and the "next big thing" as far as tech and security threats go, only to watch them fade away from the limelight, that this sort of thing just makes me shrug instead of shocks me. It's really business as usual for Google, and I hate to say this, but they wouldn't be the only one pulling stunts if others thought they could get away with it.

6. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

I saw this last night after running a speedtest, and I agree with you, it does seem a bit underhanded.
    I wonder how many new Chrome users are wondering why their speedtest results haven't changed at all..

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Far less than you're probably thinking. New Chrome users come more from magazine/website reviews, forum and friend recommendations, and other Google software than from ads placed on websites.

8. Cimmerian

Yes, you're right about where most of the Chrome user base comes from.
    I honestly didn't think Chrome would pick up very many users off the add, I neglected to throw in the rolling eyes smiley at the end of my reply, my bad. That being said, I wonder how many people ARE wondering why they're not seeing better results with Chrome...:D

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Almost ALL my friends uses Chrome now and i never pushed it to them.

Everytime i fix a PC (All my friends PC have been fixed at least once by me), i install Chrome and let them test it.
    Guess what :D
    Everyone ended up using it, their first impression usually is "Wow this is fast, it feels like my internet is faster". :thumb:

PS. All of them used Firefox 3 before.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yes, we know you're a Chrome fan, lol.

11. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I used Chrome up until about 2 weeks ago. It wouldn't open for me. I tried reinstalling it. Couldn't. Then, couldn't uninstall the old one.

I finally opened a snapshot, uninstalled it and put the latest Firefox on. Really, I don't see much speed difference. There's a slight edge to Chrome, but at least Firefox hasn't quit on me.

As for the speed thing, a lot of people will believe it. As was said, you can't upload or download any faster than you pay for via your ISP.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, when I first tried Chrome (I guess that would be around Chrome 3,4?), My internet was "slower" because the stupid browser always hung on pages. I always got the "load error" (can't remember the exact phrase, but it wasn't an uncommon thing for other users). Needless to say, it drove me away. What it is like now has me curious, and I'm likely to give it another spin (not real thrilled with Mozillas' direction).

On topic though, yeah, this ad doesn't mean much. It's just marketing and no different from how TV advertisers do things many times, and no less or more misleading.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha indeed, i'm a Chrome fanboy :D Huzzah
    All this "Fanboyism" are based on true experiences and not making up a story

I have another story!! xD
    My bro bought a new "Netbook" around 6 months ago. The model is an Asus Eee1201N, which has dual core atom (Intel Atom 330), 2GB of ram, Nvidia ION and decent HDD. In conclusion it's by no means a "Slow" netbook for it's time.

He has ALWAYS been a fan of Firefox since around 2003-2004, he was so loyal to it (I tried many times before, recommending him Opera or Chrome) . . . until he used it on his netbook.

Opening the browser took a good amount of seconds and as many people here, he's an avid user of Facebook and many resource hogging sites (Flash intensive, Java etc.). He could barely use his netbook when playing or using apps in Facebook, every time he wanted to log on it, he used my desktop.
    I started to get annoyed by this because he always kept interrupting my gaming sessions :D

After suffering for around 4 months, i finally told him, give Opera or Chrome a try you will not regret it and he finally accepted. At the end he chose to install Chrome and guess what :)
    The rest is pure joy :D

14. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+100% Agree! :thumb:

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Concerning ISP speeds, I think the difference is really noticed on a netbook or a light laptop (or maybe an older PC). I find that Iron/Chrome & SeaMonkey tend to be 'snappier' on my laptop than other browsers. Although, the same could be said on my desktop. SeaMonkey Portable (Portable Apps) seems much faster than Chrome or Iron Portables though. SM is definitely lighter in Mbs. Sorry ... I've strayed a tad off-topic ... ;)

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Only thing is, none of that has anything to do with ISP speed :) It has everything to do with the design of each individual browser and even sometimes the hardware on the system. The only thing that will ever change your net speed is extra money handed over to your ISP.

17. Daveski17

Yes, that's for sure. I'm figuring it's all in my imagination. The apparent 'quickness' of SM or Iron over Firefox (for example) at opening the browser isn't really an issue after surfing a little. Or is it? .... ;)

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not to me it isn't. To the speed freaks, perhaps. Firefox has always (for me) had a slight stall when opening..but so has IE and Opera. Chrome pops right up..but Chrome also gave me problems once it got going.

19. Daveski17

IMHO in general surfing Iron/Chrome & SM just seem to be the most 'snappy'. Mind you, SM can take its time opening at first. I had a look at one of the beta Fx 4 releases & was quite impressed. It's nice to have the choice if one of them goes a bit dodgy. SeaMonkey has had periods like that in the past, although understandable when you realise how it is developed. I greatly admire the SM team that keep it going.

What can I say about Iron/Chrome .... ? It's got good points, it's got bad points ...

Well, what it can't do or open, I can do in SM. Failing that, I have Firefox. I suppose if it comes down to it I have IE!

I regularly hope it never comes down to it! LOL :D

20. Cimmerian

I'll admit I haven't used Chrome for quite some time, v2 0r 3, I don't remember for sure. I found it to be on the buggy side, and it's barebone features and GUI turned me off. Also, at that time, there were concerns raised about privacy issues, after all, it's Google, right? lol...
    I'm a long time Firefox user, been with it almost from the time Mozilla dropped the Firebird name, I guess in 2004 or 2005. It did the job then, as it does now. I'm using the latest Beta build, and it rocks..:thumb:
    I think I'll give Chrome another go though..just to see what it's become, maybe my speed will increase like the ad says...:D

21. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Nice testimonial.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha it's my true story :D
    Anyways, another thing is that IE 9 is very fast IMO :thumb:
    Good signs from Microsoft, IE 8 was so sluggish, no matter what hardware you had or how stable your PC was. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.