Got the trial, now have questions

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by msingle, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msingle

msingle Registered Member

Hi,

I downloaded the trial version last night and did a full scan and was quite impressed that it didn't totally slow down my computer anywhere near the way NAV does. As a matter of fact I've gotten mad at my wife because she has stopped a scheduled NAV scan because she basically couldn't use the computer. Maybe that won't be a problem if I fully switch to NOD.

Now, questions.

1. I ran my full NAV scan last night before downloading NOD32. NAV scanned 87672 files but when I did a full scan with NOD it only scanned 30171. Why the difference? I've got everything selected under Diagnostic targets and methods and everything selected except floppy and CD drive under Targets.

2. It found an RTF file and says "probably unknown script virus". NAV doesn't pick up anything. What does this mean exactly?

3. I have a bunch of zip files and in the log it lists some of them and says "password protected file". Does that mean it wasn't scanned? Does NAV scan those password protected zips/files?

4. There's also messages about corrupted archives and broken archives regarding zip files and also "problem encountered while loading an archive" (in this case two messages in OE) What does all that mean?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. linney

linney Registered Member

Some of your questions maybe answered in this earlier post.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5196;start=0

Also if you have set it to scan using "Heuristic Sensitivity" as "Deep" it might throw up a few false positives.

3. msingle

msingle Registered Member

That thread helped that was mentioned and I've tried to go through and read other relevant threads in the NOD32 forum. But if anyone has any answers to my questions, especially #1 and #3 for now I'd really appreciate it.

Also a couple other questions to add:

Is there a way to make rescue type diskettes with NOD32?

Until I get more comfortable with the features, limitations, and abilities I'm running NOD32 on demand and keeping NAV resident. The NOD control center's QUIT button is greyed out so I can't shut it down. Any ideas?

Hope I can figure these things out soon as I'm 3 days into my 25 trial period now.

Thanks.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

msingle,

Your system is running Windows 2000, right? On NT based Window systems NOD32CC runs as a Service and the Quit button is deliberately disabled on those OS. (NT, W2K, XP).

Source of this info is the second post in this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4687

Reply #4 in that thread has a suggestion regarding how to make the quit button functional by reinstalling NOD32 with different options. (I don't know if it works or not.)

I hope that answers that one question,
    LowWaterMark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.