Got fed up with newest FF

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jo3blac1, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Okay I got officially fed up with the @$@$ frequency of firefox updates. The newest version gave me trouble loading netflix and mapquest properly while IE10 worked without problems. Not to mention flash crashing...
    I have now installed FF ESR. Everything works as fine. Really, Mozilla should stop being such a chrome copy cat and do what it did best before. Provide us with stable and reliable browser with emphasis on security and not frequency of updates or crazy new themes that make it look less usable (although you stupidly claim that it is more usable just like MS with windows 8....)
    Every time I install new FF I have to go through almost Windows XP ritual of changes:
    1. enable menu bar
    2. download firefox 2.0 theme
    3. download status bar (gone since version 4 or so...)
    4. restore tabs to the bottom
    - now can't do the last one via built in menu since FF 4, so now I have to go every time into about:config. really annoying...
    / end of rant

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm kinda hoping that Mozilla are going to come to their senses some time soon.

It could happen ...

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I don't know if there is a way to simplify the installation of (potentially multiple) themes/extensions, but you could (if it will make your life easier) apply your desired preference tweaks via user.js or autoconfig file.

4. guest

guest Guest

Solve your problem and move to Palemoon
    and kiss Firefox goodbye

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That's like trading one problem... for the same problem.

6. Daveski17

There are other browsers.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Time to switch buddy . . . :D

8. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I'm with you on this one. The only thing keeping me from switching is the smooth scrolling of Firefox (via an extension). I am aware that Google Chrome has a smooth scrolling extension, but it works nowhere near the Firefox extension (SmoothWheel, to be specific).

9. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

1. I do that too. Menu bar is much better, especially in Linux.
    2. The default theme is fine with me
    3. Add-om Bar works for me.
    4. I have grown to like tabs on top. As already mentioned you can put that is user.js

Have fun with the ESR version. :thumb:

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

11. Daveski17

I'm almost tempted to give that a go, how about FXOpera?

Although these days I actually prefer the real thing. Having said that, I have only had one problem with 17.0.1 when it had difficulty running a flash player on the io9 (Net magazine) page. No problems with flash anywhere else. Since PrefBar's recent upgrade isn't working well on SeaMonkey I have been using QuickJava & Vertical Toolbar on Fx instead (primarily to toggle Java off).

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Pale Moon +1 :)

13. jo3blac1

Thanks guys. I am just ranting in here after getting really upset at FF becoming so unstable over the years. I mean I've been trying to figure out for at least 3 days how come netflix is not working right and how come flash keeps on crashing. I initially thought that it was my Outpost FW Webcontrol module and that Outpost was buggy but IE 10 always worked just fine without any problems. MS really impressed me with this release.

Unfortunately ZeroShield and Outpost FW don't recognize Palemoon as FF and won't protect it. Zemana and a bunch of others also don't recognize it.

I agree, the best way to solve this problem is to switch. And I did many times over this year. I tried everything out there and I always keep on coming back to FF because it just "feels" right. You know, kind of like personal preference.
    I did however swtich to FF ESR, which hopefully will provide much more stable releases without any bugs in flash, java, etc.
    If that one fails over the years then I will probably eventually go with Internet Explorer which as improved a lot since IE6. The only down side is the lack of smooth scrolling support for trackpoints and no flashgot extension. Otherwise I would have made the switch already as it is also one of those browsers that feels comfortable to use.

If you could explain to me how to do this, it would really make my life easier. I tend to image a lot and going through steps 1-4 every time, can get quite annoying.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  14. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Here is my technique for taming Firefox. The trick is to always use a custom profile. This page describes it well - http://www.borngeek.com/firefox/profile-tutorial/

Once you have done this, all your extensions, cache, history etc are now in the profile folder which can be easily saved. I back it up using dropbox regularly. This same profile can now be used for any FF based browser such as Palemoon or Waterfox as well.

15. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Frequent updates? They release one update every 6 weeks. In 6 weeks I have more 10x updates on Ubuntu.

I also have 25 extensions and I can't remember the last crash I had on my systems (W7 & Ubuntu) (many times I work with more than 20 tabs). Maybe you should check what's wrong with your system.

16. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

17. jo3blac1

Other browsers works perfectly fine. Only newest FF has been giving me trouble. So this excludes windows/flash/java specific problems.

18. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Also uninstalled Firefox - using Chrome and IE10, both are faster and I don't need all the bells and whistles FF has available. Also, FF doesn't support Windows 7 x64 - so let it go......

19. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

20. guest

guest Guest

""That's like trading one problem... for the same problem""

Apparently you have not tried Palemoon or you wouldn't be saying that

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I like a Light Blue skin for Firefox.
    The Light Blue Color is Calming...:thumb:

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

No, I have tried it more than once. After a few days of use the only thing that feels different are the add-ons that don't work with Pale Moon that do work with Firefox. There are no UI differences between them that can't be duplicated and any performance differences aren't large enough to be measurable in every day use. I really have nothing against it, but don't see the point of it either. No offense to the guy that makes it, I'm sure his efforts are appreciated by the people that use it.

23. Daveski17

Simply Blue?

24. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  25. Daveski17

OK. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.