Got A Need If You Can Help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Beewf/It/Up, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beewf/It/Up

Beewf/It/Up Guest

Thanks for all replies to this.

Am putting together an old computer that will later be donated . Would like to make it as pleasent to use as possible. Its a win98se. Have got most everything except for a media player and dvd player, both will need to be freeware.

so can anyone guide me to a super nice spyware free media player. The ones I have look at so far want to install more mb's of garbage than the size of the actual program...........just a decent player is all....the better the better........seem for the dvd player.....(this area is one totally new to me)

oh, an also need a Screen Capture program.......Tassie has one that looks great.....something of that nature.

Thank you for all suggestions. A ton of educational programs have been installed an still have some space left .

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

JetAudio gets my vote for a media player. Admittedly you'd have to get new codecs for some AVIs and WMP formats but MP3s and Mpegs are fine with a standard installation - spyware free and some nice features if you ask me.

3. Beef/It/Up

Beef/It/Up Guest

DETOX

please excuse my asking this....as stated this is a new are for me...

JetAudio.....USE to be spyware....that was several years ago....did they clean that up......I am assuming they did if your are suggesting it........it burnt me after 5 or six years ago......

4. hadi

hadi Guest

5. Beef/It/up

Beef/It/up Guest

HADI, thank you, will give both it and Jet a try.......never used anything like players in many a year...this may prove to be enjoyable.

Beef

6. hadi

hadi Guest

7. hadi

hadi Guest

8. VIPER99

VIPER99 Registered Member

Winamp works for me.

http://www.winamp.com/player/

You could also use the Windows Media Player. I don't over all. I use it to watch my movies everything else is on Winamp though. You can watch movies on winamp also but I've just grown accustomed to using WMP for that.

9. Beef/It/Up

Beef/It/Up Guest

HADI

Appreciated, going to look at both captures.....strange, could not get a Download at snapfiles nor reach the vendors homepage for GRAB.....no problem...got it downloaded.

thank you HADI

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Nice site Erik. :)

12. Beef/It/Up

Beef/It/Up Guest

Viper, Eric, Ron

Thank you for all the very nice suggestions. Had carefully considered upgrading WMP but decided no. Just don't trust that player. Most likely the computer will end up with a single parent with kids so am trying to keep the OS tight......security is installed that will offer good protection without even being noticed. Everything is in place except a Player.....

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Jet's never had spyware since I started using it but then that was only a year or so ago. I used to swear by Winamp but the newer versions were bloated (IMO) and always wanting to connect to the net when I played an MP3 so I tried Qplayer. Qplayer worked for me but not well enough once I tried Jet and I've stuck with it so far. I have a few friends who picked it up and are happy as well - worth taking a look at among others if nothing else I guess.

14. Beef/It/Up

Beef/It/Up Guest

DETOX

Thanks will definitely download Jet before going to bed tonight.
    Going to put a file on the desktop before sending it advising of all the wonderful people who gave their time and wisdom to setting the computer up. Am sure the people who receive it will be most grateful. On their behalf as well as my own.

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL

Beef

15. Beef/It/Up

Beef/It/Up Guest

DETOX

Below is a paste of a users opinion post at snapfiles:

#Tried to connect to ftp server... 2/13/2005 09:29:00
    Posted by: Geejay (14)
    Interface: Features: Ease of use: Value: Overall:

Does anyone know why, upon closing this application after a test drive, it tried to connect to jetaudio.codns.com on port 21? That's a standard ftp port. Why? When the program initiated it tried to contact its home page, www.jetaudio.com. I do like the features jetAudio offers so I do recommend it. I just don't like surprise connections like I mentioned above. My opinion is that if an application is trying to access the network, the developer should include a dialog box with an explanation. ~Uninstalled. :)P) 7775 ##

Also, there is a newer version of Jet than the one offered at snapfiles.....am dopwnloading it right now.

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah - it does check for a newer version. I agree there ought to be a dialogue box but then you can disable that auto-update check under preferences/general/autoupdate. Once it finds a newer version etc, it does give a dailogue box before actually updating, so I've left it enabled myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.