Google using javascript redirect on searches: Maone

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by axial, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

axial Registered Member

NoScript users may have noticed that Google search results have been messed up the past couple of days. Each result link clicked gives a NoScript warning.

Giorgio Maone says that Google is "Google just started to use a JavaScript redirect in order to track every result you follow".

http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8161

2. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://noscript.net/getit#devel

3. axial

axial Registered Member

Thx Dermot7, I loaded 2.3.1rc1 this morning, still testing. While it does help alleviate some of the problem, there are still some search result links that don't work as expected. My skills at describing the difference between working / not working links aren't knowledgeable enough to make a coherent description to post to the support forum.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hmm? I thought Google already tracked anything you clicked on, why the need for this?

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I think this started after HTTPS so that they could still grab referral data.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Oh, that's a shame. I found the ArsTechnica article about 'SEO' breaking with encrypted Google quite amusing.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, another example why Noscript is essential :)

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Why do you need Javascript for Google searches?

----
    rich

9. axial

axial Registered Member

"you" meaning Google or meaning the user?

10. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

It's amazing how ridiculous google is being about their privacy policy, I've got cookies blocked by default thanks to cookie monster, and javascript blocked by NoScript between that and changing my address via tor between searches (and between using different google services such as youtube and mail). I gotta say when you search for something in google and then see it FOLLOW YOU into youtube in your suggestion box it really creeps you out. I also plan on moving the 5 G-Mail accounts I have elsewhere (I have a new one that I will only visit via the Tor Browser on my computer for more convenient email access to prevent any form of mixing) though it will take quite a while with all the accounts I'll have to change the associated email addresses for (I generally assign my Hotmail address to the important things anyways).

And you can't forget Redirect Remover as well :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  11. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

The user. I've never had any problems using Google Search with Javascript disabled for that site.

----
    rich

12. axial

axial Registered Member

edited:With javascript disabled and using NS 2.3.1 I had never had this problem either until Google started using the javascript redirect in search results links earlier this week.

I can confirm the NoScript dev version 2.3.1rc2 http://noscript.net/getit#devel has fixed the problem of the interstitial raw link page as described by Mr. Maone in the NS forum posting above.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  13. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I guess I'm not following this very well.

Do you need Javascript enabled in order to be redirected in a Google Search?

-rich

14. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I think the answer to your question is yes...due to Google's way of indexing, although I can't say I fully understand, that is the sense of what I got from reading this : http://searchengineland.com/google-...f-javascript-and-flash-but-is-it-enough-19881

https://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=23852

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

thanks, very informative reading.

I keep Javascript disabled for Google Searches just because everything loads more quickly.

I did a few test searches with and without JS enabled, and see no difference in what is displayed. I've not gotten the "loading" scenario described in the article.

I'll keep an eye on how this develops.

----
    rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.