[Google] Search engine suggestions?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I don't personally make use of Google as my search engine. Only very rarely.

I noticed that when I start to search for something, it gives suggestions and in some cases it even searches for them as I type?

Another thing I noticed is that, when performing the initial* search here -https://encrypted.google.com, I'm automatically redirected to the page where search results appear.

* A single letter!

Is this something new? This is a freakish behavior.

I don't think this is a bug with Chromium?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. m00nbl00d

So, that was it. Oddly enough, I have it disabled in Chromium. Why forcing it to users? Just for the sake of forcing users to enable cookies? :mad: Well... it's Google... It's got to be great, no? :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks! :thumb:

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

m00nbl00d, it is Google's answer to ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). ;) You're welcome! Take care.

5. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

6. kupo

kupo Registered Member

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I not sure what Google Instant is (I don't have cookies enabled for Google) but there is a useful feature which I like: as I type, suggestions appear below the Search box.

Recently I've been reading various camera lens reviews, so as I type the lens name, eventually I see 'review' as one of the items,
    then, I just use the down arrow to select that item and it's put into the Search box.

pana_1.gif

pana_2.gif

Is this the same thing as Google Instant?

Anyway, bit of a time-saver for the lazy (like me)!

regards,

-rich

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No it isn't. Google Instant annoyingly enters your search automatically if you pause for a brief moment.
    That leads to incorrect results, more resource usage, and more bandwidth consumed.

9. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Aha!

So, two solutions:

1) Disable Cookies

2) Disable 'Google Instant'

From the FAQ:

10. Spooony

Good luck signing into gmail with cookies disabled

11. m00nbl00d

1) Wrong... You need to enable cookies, so that Google remembers you opted-out of Google Instant. If you disable cookies, Google no longer remembers it.

2) You'd need to enable cookies. :D

The only way "disable" Google Instant, without allowing cookies, would be to disable JavaScript.

Apparently, some list used with AdBlock Plus is blocking cookies from Google, which also makes Google not remember it. I haven't bothered to narrow it down to figure which one is, though.

This Google Instant crap should an Opt-IN, and not Opt-OUT!!!! Damn Gogole... always finding ways to force us cookies... :blink:

12. m00nbl00d

There's no problem with that, if you enable cookies on per-site basis, and only when you want to enable them.

Another way is to have a different browser profile to access Gmail, for example. Or even an e-mail client, if that's the case. Would it be necessary to allow cookies with an e-mail client? I know Thunderbird has a cookies manager, but I don't know if it's related to such situations?

13. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Do you need to sign up for an account to have Google Instant work? I don't have a Google Account, so maybe that's why Google Instant doesn't work here.

Regards,

-rich

14. m00nbl00d

No, you don't. Or, I don't think you need. I do have a Gmail account, but I do not access it in the same user account I use for general web browsing, and only allow cookies (e-mail account) for the current session only.

Go here -https://www.google.com/preferences

It should show you whether or not it's active.

15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I don't see anything about Google Instant, so I assume you have to have an account.

But I see this about Autocomplete which only works if I have Javascript enabled for the site (which I do)

googlePref.gif

I don't use web mail so I don't have a Google account.

BTW, why do you deactivate links with a hyphen? That takes away the convenience of a hyperlink.

regards,

-rich

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Google Instant requires Chrome 13 Beta. They're pulling the same proprietary move MS got socked for.

17. m00nbl00d

Could it be that I'm using Chromium, and therefore they make me automatically opt-in o_O (I never saw any references to Google Instant in my e-mail account settings.) If that's the case... :ouch: :thumbd:

It's the force of the habit... :D

18. m00nbl00d

Thanks for confirming! They (Google) should leave their crappy stuff out of Chromium... Damn it!! :isay: :thumbd:

Chromium was supposed to be unrelated to Google. It was supposed only to be an open-sourced project, from which Google Chrome derivates, and where Google puts their crap. So I thought. o_O

19. Spooony

So I must drop my secure browser for a less secure one checking my mail? Per site basis means Google and gmail.com you get cookied

20. m00nbl00d

o_O Why on this Earth would you drop your web browser for a less secure one? I don't know which one you use, but doesn't it allow you to have multiple profiles?

I know IE doesn't. But, Chromium/Chrome, Opera and Firefox do, for example.

It also means I also allow it for the current browser session only, and not permanently.

21. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I just got rid of GOOGLE.COM as my default search engine, I am not sure just how I managed that...I tried before. I was looking-up different departments in a local Hospital 2 days ago and today I put duckduckgo.com on the user style sheet in C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\User StyleSheets . I looked under options/Manage search engines..there were two search engines listed..GOOGLE the Hospital and GOOGLE and a X next to GOOGLE so I deleted it. But now I am stuck with the Hospital as my search engine :gack:

22. m00nbl00d

duckduckgo.com is not bad, but nowhere near Google, unfortunately. I mainly use Ixquick or DuckDuckGo. But, sometimes these do not fulfill my needs. I'd use Bing, but unless I'm aware of, it doesn't have a secure (https) search version?

23. Carver

Carver Registered Member

DuckDuckGo has a https version

24. m00nbl00d

Yes, I know that. I was talking about Bing (Microsoft's search engine). I don't think it has an https version, does it?

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.