Google removes privacy feature from Android mobile software

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by hawki, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Full Story: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/13/us-google-android-idUSBRE9BC0YO20131213

2. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

This is both really funny and sad, considering all this publicity over Google telling the NSA and Marketers to kiss the curb. Can't say I wasn't surprised this would happen. Even if a Skunk changes its colors, it's still going to smell, act, and walk like a skunk.

3. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Techwiz, this is outright pathetic. I'm beginning to regret ever purchasing my Nexus 7. It is always fouling up to begin with, what with the Youtube app hardly ever working and more. I had wondered why they were sending out I think two system updates in the last week, now I know. I am getting very tired of their hypocritical stances on privacy and security. They are mad at and tell the NSA to go to Hades, but turn right around and practically spy themselves through every service they have. They worry about apps in their store having excessive rights and malware-like behavior, then go and remove the ability to control them. Third party marketers are no longer allowed to keep tabs on users through loading images, but by God Google can.

I hate ranting, and generally dislike ranters, but I don't know a more appropriate response to the continued arrogance and two-faced actions of this company. I admit they have an ingenious operation going. Provide what are arguably the best services in the world for free, all while not at all secretly doing the very things they are in the media complaining about.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It's not hard to guess who wanted this change. Who more than anyone else wants constant access to location data and contact lists?
    A large demonstration at their corporate headquarters where users smash their Androids against the wall and leave them the mess.

So glad that I never had a use for these so called "smart" phones.

5. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I honestly would love to do that to them at this point. I fully understand that I am the product when it comes to Google. I accepted that the very first time I ever had a Gmail address. However, they are really taking things further and further and, again, I am not fond of their hypocritical behavior.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

7. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Most of the offending apps are Google apps and can't be disabled or removed. A small tweek I use is the UC browser which has an ad block feature which the Chrome and stock android browser don't have.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I used UC Browser in the past. But one time I used it to log into Facebook right after a program update and was mistakenly logged into another Facebook user's account...with full access. This was some Facebook user from India or some country like that. I logged out, uninstalled the browser and informed the UC Browser developers. I don't know if UC ever informed users about this problem or not but they did some quick update to fix the problem. They acknowledged the problem at some point to some media outlets.

9. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Never had that problem. My complaint with UC is it won't save any passwords.

10. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

You can get AppOps back in numerous ways. There are quite a few apps, there are some ROMs, and there is the Xsposed Framework with the XPrivacy plug-in. It's still in the OS. Just search XDA for "AppOps" or "Privacy"...or the Play Store for "AppOps".

YMMV on what phone and OS version you are on. I think all need root.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.