Google Redirects

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Searching_ _ _, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I have an issue I think is a redirect.
    When I search google, say Hijackthis results, I get lofi, printable or pda versions of websites instead of the real versions. Sometimes 6 or 7 pages deep in Google.
    Another type of redirect I get is, usually when looking for anti-malware log info, 10 pages>next>7pages>next>4 pages>next>2 pages or 10 pages>next>5 pages>next>2 pages.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Searching, I seem to recall that you use FF and if you still do, try the add-on Redirect Remover to see if it helps.

3. Searching_ _ _

Not sure if that would apply. Also, I am trialing 3.1b2. He stopped development at 3.0.
    I copy and paste or type info from a log file into Google. The results are peppered with lofi versions of BleepingComputer or GeekstoGo, for instance. No real versions for those results.
    Maybe redirect is the wrong term.
    Would this be more of an ARP thing?

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

@Searching__
    It is quite common to have the Lo-Fi ("printable") versions show up instead of the real ones. This has something to do with Search Engine Optimization (SEO). There's really nothing you can do about it; just hope that the search engine will replace it with the original version.

5. Searching_ _ _

If it is SEO it seems kind of lopsided. When researching anti-malware logs these lofi versions always there, varying amounts. When general surfing never see lofi pages.
    Question 4 google: Why isn't lofi a choice like "cached" for those pda peeps?
    I'll look into the SEO on the morrow. Thanks.

6. ambient_88

I am not exactly sure how SEO works; I only understand the basics of it. From what I read, the Lo-Fi versions are really helpful, especially for mobile browsing. There are various algorithms that search engines follow to determine whether a web page is good or bad. Seeing as how most search engine listings show the Lo-Fi version first, I'd say that they are preferred over the original version. This is probably because they contain all the useful content, and none of the useless stuff (i.e. advertisement, web bugs, etc). They are also smaller in size, which saves bandwidth and leads to faster page rendering.

7. Searching_ _ _

Apparently it is not Googles thing. This is related to the sites that make lo-fi versions available, probably something in the forum softwares. A bug.
    When Admins choose to offer a lo-fi, the forum software only offers the lo-fi version of that page to the search engine.
    Fixed Lo-fi
    Guess I have some Cosplainin to do.

Seeing the internet as lo-fi is like a house with all white walls and stainless steel cabinets and countertops. Maybe in your house, but not mine. :)
    Thanks.

8. ambient_88

The link you posted is a bug with CommunitySEO (an optimization software). One of the functions of CommunitySEO is the redirection of Lo-Fi pages to their full URL. The forum software itself is handling the Lo-Fi pages just fine.

9. Searching_ _ _

Have I misread their posting about the issue?

It appears that those upgrading to IP.Board 3 will no longer have the issue of search engine listings being only lofi pages, where lofi pages are available, because the skin now handles this function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.