Google May Be On The Verge Of Resurrecting “GDrive”

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/31/gdrive-alive/

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Eh, makes sense that the idea of a file is outdated - at least personal files. Everything should just be stored in the cloud and the user shouldn't ever see "files" just the GUI - at least going by Google's opinion.

Still, it would be interesting.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I get the idea that storing data in the cloud gives you access to in anywhere. Doesn't really excite me, but has some merit.

I don't understand at all how you would go about not referring to files as files though. It doesn't seem logical at all. What they really should be called are objects and containers, not files and folders. But, for all intents and purposes, calling them files and folders allows users to associate something tangible to the idea of numeric data that doesn't really exist.

It doesn't matter what they want to call it, a file or a cloud particle or a quark or a structured binar, it is still either an object or a container. That you cannot change.

Where they come up with some of this stuff must be someplace I have never been ;)

Sul.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Going by Google's opinion, yes. Going by reality, heck no. The "cloud" is still an unknown. Using it to store excess files (how exactly is the idea of a file "outdated", btw?) like rather unimportant images, videos, and other non-essential files is one thing. Completely relying on someone else's servers to make sure you not only have everything, but that it's also safe, is an entirely different ballgame.

The same crowd that crows about the "cloud" is the same crowd that has determined the PC is dead. Wishful thinking and just not true.

5. guest

guest Guest

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I think they just mean local files.

For example when you open your email you don't think of each email as an individual .txt file on a server that you edit with some interface like word or put on a USB drive and bring to school. You have emails and your email website.

Skydrive is nice but you need a local server somewhere or it's limited.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It would've been far more successful back then, where there weren't many experienced players.

I'd like something with large space (<=20GB), fast speed (<=200 KB/s), and integration with Windows Explorer.

Cloud services can be used to store important file after you've securely encrypted them.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So what are the improvements over Google Docs? Other than sync software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.