Google makes the Nexus 7 tablet official

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Daveski17, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Speaking of tablets, this looks OK for around £130/$199. I doubt whether I'll buy one though.

AOL

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's... a giant phone.

I'm not sure how they're going to sell a computing device with only 16GB (which the available storage will be less than) of storage, I guess it's good for a cheap toy but 16GB is standard for smartphones.
    This could be good for developing countries.

3. Daveski17

That's why it's less than 150 quid. That's all I would pay for a tablet anyway.

4. elapsed

My thoughts would be "why buy one in the first place" (unless you're looking for a toy that wont sink the wallet). I actually plan on replacing my laptop with a tablet for the benefit of increased portability, no noise, no fans, less heat. I'd actually need a computing device that can do the tasks the laptop can.

The only thing this tablet would do for me is provide me with a slightly larger screen than my phone, so it wouldn't be for me, but this could totally be great as a cheap computing device for getting people online that aren't online, especially the 8GB because those kinds of people are probably not going to be storing anything.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

7. Daveski17

It depends on how you define 'toy' doesn't it really?

I guess that's where we are different. I use a laptop for a lot of things, I just don't believe that any tablet will replace a half-decent laptop. I have to use a word processor a lot for my job. No tablet could do what I need to do with it. Tablets aren't taking over the world, neither are punters mass migrating to them. They are clever toys that allow the Twitter/Facebook generation to surf without the inconvenience of actually having to open a 'heavy' laptop. That's all.

Good luck finding one. Meanwhile, I'll just find a good laptop (probably cheaper).

8. elapsed

Any tablet with Windows 8 Pro will run everything my laptop does. All that remains is low price & keyboard functionality.

9. Daveski17

This is just my opinion, but tablets are fine for certain things, but they won't replace laptops any time yet, regardless of what OS they have. When I buy my next portable computer it will undoubtedly be a laptop of sorts. Whether it be a Macbook, a Sony Vaio with Win 8 downgraged to Win 7, or even a laptop pre-installed with Ubuntu, I'm not sure yet.

10. elapsed

That's just silly, especially for someone who hasn't even tried 8 yet. It's as simple as clicking the desktop, there is no need to revert to 7 for a Start Menu... Just pin your programs to the taskbar which you probably already do.

11. Daveski17

It's silly to assume that I've never tried it. Someone has demonstrated it to me recently. It isn't as simple & as some propagandists claim & I've yet to meet anyone who has used it who actually likes it.

I like Win 7, I don't like Win 8. Win 7 will be fine for me until MS finish supporting it. By that time Win 9 will probably have rectified the disastrous chimera that is Win 8. If not, it's Mac or Ubuntu I reckon.

12. elapsed

I didn't assume anything, you admitted it yourself in an earlier "windows 8 doomsday" post.

Liking it or not doesn't affect me, I was merely trying to show you that it is not as bad as you think. It's actually really easy, it only takes a few minutes of getting used to as there really is no need for a desktop user to launch the metro apps, it becomes an information display as the live tiles can be used as replacements for desktop widgets.

I'll stop here though as we're going OT.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  13. guest

guest Guest

Of course you'll be able to downgrade. But please, at least give Windows 8 a serious try. When you buy the new Windows 8 laptop, use Windows 8 for a week or 2 weeks. It should be more interesting to hear back from you after your serious experience with Windows 8. :p

14. Daveski17

Why? A computer is primarily a working machine for me, not just a hobby. I'm not planning on buying a new laptop for a while though. When I do, although I have a feeling it will probably be a Macbook, (I'm a bit undecided on that & a Vaio or the equivalent), I will almost certainly downgrade the hour I take possession of the machine. I've seen Win 8. I don't like it. I don't want it. If I have a choice to go back to 7 I will.

15. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

It is official with the following specs for pre-order:

7-inch
    1280 x 800 display
    Quad-core 1.3GHz Nvidia Tegra 3 processor
    1GB of RAM
    "12 core" GeForce GPU
    Wi-Fi
    Bluetooth
    1.3 megapixel forward-facing camera
    Accelerometer
    NFC chip for device-to-device communication
    Android 4.1 Jellybean
    340 grams

08GB for $199
    16GB for $249

Link for pre-order:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa&feature=corpus_selector

Best regards,

16. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I cannot see tablets being used for serious work. Do people buy Ipads to do papers or spreadsheets? Or do they use it like a large smart phone to download entertainment and stream movies? I can get a decent laptop on sale for $350 to $400 with decent performance. I can write a paper or do a spreadsheet on a screen big enough where I don't need a magnifying glass to see it. To me, doing any kind of serious work, be it writing papers, spreadsheets, or graphic manipulation is useless on anything with a 10" screen. Ask anybody if they would like to do the majority of their serious work looking at a 17 inch screen or a puny 10 inch screen and I can guarantee it will be on the larger screen. My son said there is no way he would use a tablet to do his schoolwork. He can't imagine using Virtual Studio or Office on a tablet.

17. Daveski17

Exactly, that's why I was intrigued by a relatively inexpensive Google tablet. They have a purpose, but it has limitations. I can understand buying a relatively cheap tablet, I wouldn't spend a huge amount of money on any tablet.

18. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I have laptops, desktops and iPad 2. The beauty of iPad is that it is instantly on, the surf is faster, Youtube is faster, Googling is faster and so forth. It is nothing but play machine and I enjoy it. Planing to buy 16GB, Nexus 7 for $249. Damn cheap with the powerful specs it offers.

Googling is the most fun on it, as it is instantly on!

Spent $850 for 64GB iPad 2 and love it!

Would like the so cheap 16GB Nexus 7 for $249, with excellent specs!

Best regards,

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.