Google knows exactly where I am, what can I do ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Fly, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

It's an electrically-conductive enclosure that blocks electric fields and electromagnetic radiation (but not static magnetic fields). Some paranoid folks paint their walls with conductive finishes, use metal doors, put conductive plastic film on their windows, etc. to block wifi, telltale electrical signals from their computers, etc. Some just use Al foil (as in "Conspiracy Theory").

2. katio

katio Guest

All I can say at this point is track your external IP and check if it's still happening when you get a new one.

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

so... how can I change my router's mac address? o_O

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

5. katio

katio Guest

That's firmware dependent, I think dd-wrt, tomato or other open source firmwares can do it.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

... If you have the geographical coordinates, how hard do you think it is to resolve them into a zip code? :rolleyes:

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I have no idea. Are the coordinates precise enough to get a zip code ?
    Keep in mind I'm not in the USA. I haven't been able to find a conversion tool that works.

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

They're precise enough to pinpoint how far you are down a street.

That is, assuming the coordinates are correct. As I mentioned earlier, geographical coordinates as extracted from an IP address are usually accurate to 2-4 blocks.

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It's a construction designed to prevent electromagnetic radation or electrostatic discharges like lightning from going in or out the cage. It's used for very different goals and very versatile, it doesn't have to be a real 'cage', for example, filling the inside of your wallet with aluminum foil to prevent your RFIDs from being read is also a Faraday cage. It's also used in microwaves to keep the radation inside, can protect you from being electrified, audio/video cable interference protection, aluminium foil in a shopping bag to steal RFID tagged products from stores etc. I also read once about a man whose house was very near a tower which transmits the wireless signals for cellular phones(can't find the english word.) He claimed he couldn't sleep well because of strong wireless interference, complaining together with other people living around it didn't help, so he build a Faraday cage around his bed, and slept very well after that.

Don't the wireless radiation/signals get magnified inside a Faraday cage? It wouldn't be very healthy for an individual to be inside it for regularly and long and if it does.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  10. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Radio/Wireless etc signals won't work inside a proper FC, that's the whole MO of them. They prevent radio signals both in & out ;)

11. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

Hey fly, what exactly do you type in google when it shows your zip code?
    And where exactly does it show your zip code on google. Could you post a screenshot? But blank out your zip of course

tell me what you type in google when it shows where you live and maybe we can compare

12. caspian

caspian Registered Member

So it would prevent geolocation? But is this some kind of enclosure that you can put your router in, or is this something you have to do to an entire room?

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Ugh...

Seriously, this whole thread is devolving into one big joke...

14. hierophant

Yes, you'd need to include the entire space containing the wifi router and connected computers (and, presumably, you). You'd want a virgin wifi router, to be confident that it hasn't been geolocated. Materials to do this are available -- conductive paint, window glass, etc. It would be a major renovation project, and quite expensive unless you found inexpensive solutions and did the work yourself.

And Eice, I was joking, BTW. I don't use wifi at home, and I never connect notebooks that have used wifi to my home networks.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

How did we get to Faraday cages anyway? Some folks would do well to just log off the net and toss out their computers. If someone is wanting a setup like that, then one of the following must be true:

1. They are Julian Assange. (hope they find you, by the way)

2. They are running a criminal ring. (hope they find you, by the way)

3. They are rogue CIA/NSA agents (they probably will find you, by the way)

4. I somehow missed the start of the One World Government and the beginning of the Apocalypse. (Excuse me, I need to go find a good bunker/mountain before they find ME)

16. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

Hey fly, what exactly do you type in google when it shows your zip code?
    And where exactly does it show your zip code on google. Could you post a screenshot? But blank out your zip of course

tell me what you type in google when it shows where you live and maybe we can compare

when i search for something, it shows the city of my ISP provider in the google sidebar on the left of the search results which is in the same county as i live in.

is this what you are referring to but it shows your exact zip code instead? please post a screenshot but blur out your zip code

17. hierophant

It was a joke to emphasize how much I loathe wifi GPS tagging.

We agree on that, sir.

It's 4, of course. Where have you been? ;)

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No clue where I've been, lol. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get my cave ready :eek: :D

19. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

fly, once again, could you post a screenshot of where it shows your zip code in google.

20. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I just prefer not to.

Left colomn of the screen, below the typed URL google.x (x=country)

Below it some options are offered.

21. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

you could post it but just make sure to blur your zip code

and are you saying that it shows your zip code underneath where it shows you your city/state/or country? (in the sidebar)

22. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I use the local version (language).

Sidebar ? That would be left sidebar/column.

Zip code and city on the same line.

Enough said.

23. jesusjesus

jesusjesus Registered Member

A number of months ago I checked my whois info for my IP (isp assigned IP) . And the geolocation info was almost spot-on. 2 houses away. Also ads would know my suburb (rather than just city) eg "girls in "Suburb-name" are ready to chat"

I thought well that's not great. I don't want anonymous strangers knowing where I live, just by knowing my IP. I changed the MAC number in my wireless router, wondering if that would help remove such detailed geolocation info from my whois register info.

I just checked then, and now whois registration is back to showing the central city area of my city as my geolocation information & ads no longer know my suburb only my city. I have no idea if me changing my wireless router wifi mac address had any bearing on the geolocation IP info or not, Just glad the whois data for my IP is no longer so accurate.

24. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

that is kinda scary....for me it just shows city and state. do you live in the US?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.