google-how long data kept

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by iii, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iii

iii Registered Member

how long does google keep your data that they collect from google.com searches and google chrome browser?

i heard it's 18 months but then i heard that they just cross out some of the data after 18 months but still keep it. So how long do they actually keep your data for?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

4. iii

iii Registered Member

thanks but nowhere there does it state when they delete your data just that they hide your data after 18 months. if any knows the answer to this let us know

Also since people look at google as having privacy issues I would like to ask what does your isp collect? the reason im asking is because i really dont know and would like to make a comparison. I heard your isp collects a percentage of what sites you go on and what you search similar like google?

5. I no more

I no more Registered Member

Don't know. Don't care. I'll never use them without some proxy between them and myself again. If they say they "anonymize" :rolleyes: your data after 18 months but they say nothing else, then assume they'll have it until the day your grandchildren die and beyond.

This is only a guess, but my guess is that the information they keep is what you can see in the URL bar of your browser, including the name and location of every file you download. I don't think they retain the actual content. As far as how long they keep it, it depends on where you live.

6. iii

iii Registered Member

I dont know guys but i think people might be being hard on google. I mean people say google has privacy concerns because when you do a search they keep your search along with your ip address but doesnt yahoo and bing etc do the same thing? what am i missing here?

7. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=260073

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I'd say that it's kept long enough for the government or other interested third party to look through it :D

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Thanks axle for posting the link to the other thread. What I said in that thread still stands.

To answer iii simply, sometimes it's not what they keep, how long, etc. as, you're right, many do the same thing. The issue becomes who is keeping it and what's their attitude toward privacy concerns? That's where the other thread that axle linked to comes into play. And that, says it all.

Yahoo's Law Enforcement compliance information was recently leaked and unlike many, I actually found it very to-the-point, matter of fact and showed what is needed for X information and that user information would be released ONLY under the said conditions in that compliance document. No big deal. Surely no disgust with those concerned with privacy.

10. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I really don't mind google piling up all this search data. What I do not like is data mining, or in other words, personally identifiable information. What I normally do is clear my browser history and flash history at least daily. Also, there are ways to get new IPs for some randomness, if you are not on PPPoE. Frankly, keeping search data does improve search.

For example, google would be dishonest if they where datamining emails indefinitely, they say they don't, but they are a little soft on the wording.

11. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Google keeps your data 18 months and then keeps it on the google sever but they anonymize it.

I just want to say, if you don't want Google to know then don't Google it!

12. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Even if Google only keeps it for 18 months, they are guaranteed to share it with others before thy delete it.

The last few times I have tried to create a gmail account while using Xerobank, they insisted that I give them my cell phone number.

I have 2 or 3 gmail accounts that have only been used while connected to Xerobank. Every so often I get these little messages at the top of the screen asking for another email address or my phone number. They claim that unless I give that to them I may not be able to retrieve my password if it is lost......Haha!

13. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

See: Google Chrome useage tracking.
    Google has it's critics.

14. arran

arran Registered Member

Forever

15. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Yup, Google never states that they will delete the logs, only anonymize it

" We strike a reasonable balance between the competing pressures we face, such as the privacy of our users, the security of our systems and the need for innovation. We believe anonymizing IP addresses after 9 months and cookies after 18 months strikes the right balance."

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.