Google flings Bing into search engine bin

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I bet part of the Bing success at first was if it was the only search engine listed in the search providers, many folk could not work out how to add Google as their default.

When you ask to 'show more search providers' they are all shown APART from Google. You have to type in a search box for Google, then you can add it. Thing is, they made the search box white.... and it's on a white background!!

Sneaky :ninja:

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Considering Bing still somewhat sucks outside of US searches, I think "staying flat" can be considered progress. If they actually expect to grow, they need to wake up to other countries.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

5. guest

guest Guest

So true

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've only used Bing once, and that was when it was just to try it when it first came out. I've never used it again - not that is was a bad search engine I just prefer Google, and never use anything else for my searches.

I don't use the Google toolbar or anything similar - I just have my browsers configured so that to do a Google search I just type g followed by my search terms in the address bar, and then my Google search opens in a new tab.

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've never bothered using the default search, or searched using the address bar. I simply added Dogpile to my bookmarks (both the menu and the bookmarks toolbar) and start my search at their site. It has the advantage that if I want, I can change any search preferences at the same time.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I primarily use Bing so I guess I'm bucking the trend.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Try Bing again. I've been using it since it first appeared and besides it being a good search engine, the photos are quite entertaining. :)

10. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

When Bing came out it had a better image search and display functionality than Google. So, I used Bing only when I had to search for an image. But then Goolge copied Bing's style! so I shifted back to Google :D

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just had a look. The photos are nice, but not something I would normally ever see, because I go straight to search results page and not the main page. E.g. to do a Google search I enter g the the search terms, e.g. 'g wilders' By skipping the main page I'll miss the photos. As far as the search ability I still prefer Google to anything else.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And for so many other spaces not just search engines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.