Google Fiber network speeds ahead of competitors

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Compu KTed, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

~ Removed Copyrighted Image ~

The sleeker technology allows Google Fiber customers to surf the Internet at a speed of one gigabit per second, up to 100 times faster than existing broadband services.

Google Fiber boasts that its service can download an entire movie in less than two minutes.

Some privacy advocates also worry that the project raises questions about how deeply Google will become entwined in its customers’ lives.

“It gives them yet another way to gather and amass information about people, to build their digital dossiers,” said John Simpson, director at the public interest group Consumer Watchdog. “They have so much data about users at their fingertips and become a magnet for government request for that information.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...b466fc-6028-11e2-b05a-605528f6b712_story.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To be honest, I don't think that we need 1 Gbit/s connections, plus fiber optics is overrated, cable is working just fine. ;)

3. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Registered Member

That sounds like the computer expert years ago that said we would never need a CPU faster than a 386.
    With new speed comes capabilities not even thought of yet. It will always need to be faster.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, I know what you mean, however, I think 200 Mbps is enough for now.

I also think that cable is better than fiber, with fiber you need to connect all appliances (STB, router and DECT phone) to the main fiber modem.

With cable you can just plug the modem/router and STB into the wall. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.