Google Earth

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Can anybody tell me the link that downloads Google Earth without that useless and infernal Google Chrome coming with it.

I downloaded what I thought was Google Earth and Google Chrome followed it like a leech. Not only that but it had the audacity to change my default browser from Firefox to IE8 and Google Chrome.

The day I ever downloaded Google Chrome was a disaster, rather like inviting a bot fly as a dinner guest.

PLEASE, let me know a link that downloads just Google Earth without Google Chrome coming with it.

In my humble life of being served by wonderful Firefox, I consider Google Chrome is to browsers what Mary Poppins is to Deep Throat.

My eternal best wishes.
    John

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

3. John Bull

Dear prius, I do appreciate your post in an endeavour to help me from treading on the soul destroying Google Chrome landmine everywhere I go, but when I clicked your link, this ominous sentence was shown :-
    "By installing, you agree to Google Earth's Privacy Policy and Google Chrome's Privacy Policy."

So here we go again, the terrible conjoined twins are still trying to make my life difficult. Google Chrome just `aint gonna let go that easily.

Since I first had the unfortunate experience of meeting the dreadful Chrome, I see one thousand and one items contaminating my system with "chrome" attached. The wretched thing has implanted a pile of rubbish on my system that will take years of dedicated effort to get rid of.

Apart from my car bumpers and electric kettle, I never want to hear the word Chrome again, certainly not in connection with browsing.

John

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good Lord, John, just uncheck the two little boxes and quit your complaining.
    Google install.jpg

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Last time I went to Windows Updates.
    Microsoft wanted me to "update" to Microsoft updates,
    wich should make it easier for me to update the MS Office suite wich I don't own.

Similar situation, but you still have a choice.

6. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Honestly if you don't want all the registry entries and mess, I wouldn't even install Earth on its own. Google and a mess of folders/files go hand in hand. That being said, the rest here are right, take the little checkmarks out of the boxes and move on.

8. John Bull

Thanks Prius, that link seems OK, no Chrome came through.

I don`t know what the hell some of the other posters are on about with Drama Queens etc, but it sure does`nt help me with the problem described in my OP .

I have a slight feeling that Google Earth is one big PITA. Perhaps I`ll stick to Maps until they get their marbles sorted out.

John

9. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Until you get yours sorted out, more like.

Just as in the screenshot, all you have to do is spend about two seconds actually looking at the installation options, then uncheck a couple of boxes.

But rather than do that, you seem to prefer posting rants ad nauseum over how Google Earth did you such a terrible wrong. Poor baby.

Pay attention to installer screens, don't download or install what you don't want.
    Pretty freakin' simple, actually.

10. John Bull

Mainly due to prius, I have downloaded Google Earth without having that Google Chrome parasite come through. But it does not work. It sticks on response and has the hand on screen when a pointer should be there, nothing can be done except crash it.

I have uninstalled it together with all it`s bits and pieces.
    It looks like Google Earth Beta version 6 is needing a heart transplant.
    Version 5+ worked fine with street views.

Google maps works perfect including street views and why should I mess around with some crappy Google Earth 6 that gives just about every problem you can imagine when Maps comes up with the goods with no problems ?

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Why not click "advanced setup" on the install page here:http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html? It allows you right there to install 5.2 instead of 6. Google Earth also seems to like "beefier" systems, so perhaps your processor/video card doesn't get along with it? Also, did you not try to reinstall it? Installations can go wonky, it's a fact of computing life. Really though, with your attitude towards Google, I'm surprised you bothered to install it at all.

If you want to try again, do as I said and perform the advanced setup, remembering to remove the checks from the boxes you don't want. If it fails again, then something else is going on besides Google.

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Good thinking :thumb: I am going to re-install 5.2 on my laptop. I don't care what anyone says, 6 beta has some bugs!

13. Daveski17

I don't rate the 6 beta either John.

14. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Have you tried Bing maps ( formerly live maps ) ? You can zoom in , then choose, birds eye, and you can view from four different angles. It's very good

15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, Bing maps is nicer then Google maps IMO. It's bird's eye view is more detailed then Google's satellite view and it gives a better view of the surroundings because of the tilted angle. Though Google maps has it's great streetview to counter that, but that's not available everywhere.

16. John Bull

Dave,

Good comment and nice to see I am not alone.

Bottom line :-

I have installed GE 6 about 5+ times and in each case it does not work. Consequently I have also uninstalled GE 5+ times.
    Briefly the drag hand will not go away and the screen is dead, nothing works. I cannot get a cursor arrow except on the top R/H "X" which sometimes crashes out GE and sometimes does not if the hand is still a hand. I then have to use Task Manager to crash the damned thing.

Regarding my initial query about Chrome installing with GE, I now realise that I should have unchecked the default boxes of GE to get rid of Chrome, so that query is now settled.

Finally in desperation I got the GE down-loader screen. flicked my cursor to GE 5.2 instead of the 6 and let it fly. Everything went perfect, not a grain of trouble and GE 5.2 opened OK. Everything works as it should with all the street scenes etc. and 5.2 it will stay until Google use a little more of their obviously fallible brain matter in sorting out their GE version Beta 6, which is a VERY BIG PITA.

John
    PS - If anybody knows why GE 6 is crap whilst GE 5.2 is perfect, I will be very grateful to hear from them.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

For the same reason that some people have nothing but trouble with Beta browsers and other software, and others have absolutely none..it's a Beta.

18. John Bull

Thanks DW, sounds like me and my unfortunate colleagues are much BETA without it. :thumbd:

John

19. philby

philby Registered Member

You would imagine they'd make a little more of an effort to inform users that 6 is a beta - there's only a single line below the ToS that's very easy to miss.

I wonder how many new users are unknowingly grappling with beta s/w as they try to locate their own houses....

20. Daveski17

My guess is that Google haven't really done their homework & are expecting the average punter to do it for them. My laptop is barely three years old, which hardly makes it an antique. I can get Google Earth in Google Maps without crashing when I change to the Street Level view, so I am not so sure it is all to do with my prehistoric (or not) graphics capability. It would be nice if Google were a bit more open about 6 being a beta. It's a bit 'in the small print' when you update from GE itself. Anyway, I have 5.2 back now so they can stuff the 6 beta until it's fixed! ;)

21. Daveski17

Definitely!

Yeah LOL! I wonder how many are uninstalling GE as we speak & wondering what all the fuss about it as an application was about?

22. John Bull

Philby, you`re a corker.

I never got as far as houses, all I got was that little fist wandering about doing absolutely nothing - Gosh Phil, ya should have seen the size of my fist looking for a target.

John

FARTING SMILEY.gif

23. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Installing a beta version is not what caused the O.P. to leave the two boxes checked on the installer regarding Chrome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.