Google Earth and Privacy?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Dermot7, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

"GE" is, doubtless a wonderful application, with apparantly no challengers for its No1 position. Had a look at MS WWTelescope( which is great)...but, of course,
    something entirely different to GE. Ran Earth with googleupdate.exe removed,
    and used to clear cache/history regularly, but always had nagging doubts about
    what it might be collating/storing on yours truly....not that I've any hugely valuable data(except my identity of course) which might be of risk.
    Anyway, just wondering what's the true story about the security of one's data
    and Google Earth? Any concerns?

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can give you all sorts of ideas of what GE is LIKELY capable of and does, but providing hard evidence is an entirely different matter. The best way I have found to treat any of Google's services is to assume they can collect whatever data they want, and use the service accordingly or not at all.

3. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Thank you dw426....what you say is just as I imagined/suspected. In fact, I've
    only 30 mins back deleted a file (via jv16 PT)....a myplaces.kml.temp Earth related file...still lurking despite having uninstalled Earth, I think about a month
    ago. I've never felt able to trust anything to do with Google......but then what
    does "trust" mean nowadays, perhaps an unattainable ideal.

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I am thoroughly convinced that geolocation is going to be a tough hurdle to go through. I think that it is being used more than we know. There needs to be a an entirely new technique developed to protect against this new invasion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.