Google: Don't like us? Go use Bing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Source.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

So what's the problem?

3. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

The problem is the beginning of the end of Google. Bad attitude, we don't care about you, etc... someone on Neowin said: "we are so good we don't need to reply to consumers needs and concerns, if you don't like it use the inferior alternative". What's more, the latest Panda updates made a lot of web developers angry. More and more people are switching to BING, DuckDuck and Co. Not even Microsoft or Apple had the same bad attitude in the past like Google had nowadays.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

oh well.... for many its no loss at all. i dont use anything from them except maybe once in a while to search otherwise nothing from them installed on my systems.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

This has been their attitude for Chrome for ages. "Don't like Chrome? Go use Firefox." They make the product they want to make and if you want to use it you can use it, if you don't you don't.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It's sort of true. You don't need to use their stuff if you don't want to.
    Mrk

7. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Problem is google is a household name.....even people who have never used a computer will know the name.....and its OUR complacency that's allowed them to have this attitude....They can afford to say 'go use bing' because the vast majority of the "Hoi polloi" (as they probably regard us) will not.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

No big deal, so because one person at Google (Yeah i know it's not a regular employee but still) says it, it automatically means that's they way the whole company thinks?
    I don't think so. :D :rolleyes:

9. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I don't like them but i don't use Bing either.:cool:

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Google: charming to the last. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what's wrong with DDG? :cool:

11. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

They are so arrogant, it's almost funny :) Google acts like you can't live without them or something... I have some bad news for them: if by some chance they will disappear some day (and they will, because nothing lasts forever), somebody else will take their place and the (online) world will go on without them.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I switched to Bing almost since it's inception. Would you like to open your search page to the word Google, or a beautiful picture followed by pretty much the same results? :)

13. guest

guest Guest

For Bing's users who also happen to be Firefox's users, here is a very nice page that you may find useful: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/bing-search-search-plugins.html

Add Bing US because it is the best Bing by far. For searches in English, Bing US (the USA localized version of Bing) is definitely doing better than Google in English (the USA localized version of Google) in my personal experience and I compare them all the time.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Google is enough for me. If I can't find what I need, and that hasn't happened yet, I'll consider switching to something else.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up.:)

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i once again tried to use bing today and i like it and was using it till they added the facebook garbage to it. i have been looking for a way to remove it then i would switch back again but until they offer a way to remove the new sidebar garbage will have to look elsewhere. i hate facebook and it sucks that it basically gets shoved down your throat now if we dont want to use it then we should not have to deal with all this extra crap if we dont want it. just sucks i liked bing it was a close second imo to google search and i went back to google for now.. also liked duckduckgo but just not enough results when i search for things imo.

17. guest

guest Guest

The sidebar is totally optional to use. How can 3 little icons to the right that are almost difficult to see, be so disturbing? You can use Bing and forget the sidebar's existence easily.

And for those who use the sidebar, it's really very useful.

18. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I find the ability to refine google searches to specific date ranges and search discussions only a big advantage over bing - makes a huge difference for me searching for solutions to programming problems.

Hard to tell if one is better than the other for my general non-coding usage thoough; Google definately returns a lot more results, both tend to get the best results on the first page and that is good enough for me. Both sometimes get strange results, but its hard to quantitfy a pattern/reason and infrequent enough to fall into statistical noise.

Bing in the UK still not as good as Google for localised searches, I read Bing USA is far better for this.

Even though I prefer google for search quality overall, I have bing as default on my browsers due to Firefox and IE google sending me to the USA site by default and not the UK version (as bing correctly does).

Cheers, Nick

19. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've been using Bing quite a while now. In my opinion their image search is far superior to Google, or any other I've tried for that matter. Their Web search is okay. I've noticed at times (but not always), the results returned are disproportionally Microsoft first. But I don't know if that's because it's Bing or if it would be the same on any other search. Still, better than Google. :thumb:

20. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I prefer BiNG because it only takes a couple of clicks to have Windows, Linux, -younameit- all on the same disk, and they all just work. I never tried searching the web with it though, i didn't even know you could do that.o_O

21. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

If you like the search results of google you can still get them but with no google tracing by using ixquick startpage: https://startpage.com/ :cool:

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As I remember you were presented with a banner at some point when you clicked on Bing which asked if you want the NEW Bing that caters to social networks like Facebook where you can interact while searching. It said click here if you want it. I guess you clicked yes. There's no going back.

23. guest

guest Guest

The going back is as simply as logging off from Live and/or Facebook or cleaning browser cookies. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.