Google DNS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, guest.
    I have run the Benchmark test previously, and honestly thought all the GRC tests pertained to speed only.
    Now I see otherwise.
    I just ran thru a spoofability test for Google DNS on my system.
    I plan to run the same tests with Norton DNS, ClearCloud and Comodo Secure DNS, and then of course compare results.
    I may end up o_O by that time.

2. guest

guest Guest

Don't forget to run the build custom nameserver list of the GRC DNS Benchmark tool.

That might require about 40 minutes, but in the end you will be 100% sure that the fastest DNS servers available will be tested.

Also remember that ClearCloud will be discontinued soon:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yep, I know CC is being discontinued.
    As I mentioned yesterday, I seem to be alternating between Norton DNS, Comodo Secure DNS and now Google DNS.
    I used to have ClearCloud in that mix, but since they are discontinuing the service, I moved on. ;)

Let me ask you, in the GRC DNS Nameserver Spoofability Test, by any chance do you know if it is a good thing, or a bad thing, when "significant additional randomness has been introduced into this nameserver's queries"?
    Pseudo Resolvers.jpg

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

No idea.

Does that program give any advantages over namebench?

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've given up on the while 3rd party DNS thing. Google doesn't really offer a different experience than using the Level 3 public servers. OpenDNS is faster sometimes, but not others. Norton has too many false positives and is slow to pick up newly registered domains. None of them are faster than the ISP's servers. After much experimenting I find nothing to gain. YMMV.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I've only experienced 2 FPs with Norton so far - both fixed very fast, faster than CC would.

I'm curious how you can claim that a service that is a completely free malicious site block list, and uses no resources on your machine, can be of no benefit. It's like claiming browsers having their own blacklists is of no benefit.

If you wish not to, just PM me the sites that were blocked, and I'll post it over on their forums.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Same here. After trying that nifty little benchmark program (thanks guest) even Google DNS was way slower than local servers. After all I'm very well equipped to cope with infected websites, hence I picked a fast server. Speed is intoxicating.

8. xxJackxx

Firstly, they are slower so that is a minus. Secondly, as IT Manager where I work I provide my own blocklists and security from other sources, nothing gained there. Thirdly, my boss owns hundred of domains and whenever we change anything Norton DNS takes days to pick it up and we can't access our own sites (this is my biggest complaint).

I appreciate their free offering but for myself it causes more problems than it solves. Maybe if they get faster at picking up new DNS A records I'll reconsider.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Ok, I thought you were speaking as a home user. Generally, businesses use business class products/licenses.

10. xxJackxx

Yep. It's probably a great service for a home user, especially if kids are around. But I don't have that problem. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.