Google Chrome update error

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello,

A relative of mine complained that Google Chrome would not update.

When checking with About, it was displayed an error saying couldn't contact with the updates server, and gave an error code error:7.

I checked what the error means, and it means that Google Chrome did download the installer, but for some reason it's not being installed/updated.

I did check in Chrome's directory, and the installer is, in fact, there.

I tried like 10 times to no avail.

I searched if others were having/had the same error, at some point in time, and some say Google Chrome needs to be the default browser (if it makes any difference?), and it is the default browser.

I truly don't remember what else I found, but it didn't work either. One of them actually was about changing to IE setting. Didn't work.

Has anyone ever come across such error? It's the first time it happened.

Only as a last resource I'd uninstall Chrome and reinstall.

By the way, manually downloading Google Chrome offline installer results in the installer saying there's already a conflicting version.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I've ran into this before, and it was actually after a reinstall that it happened (not every instance though, I've had this trouble a few times). Are we certain the relative has not done a reinstall by him/herself at some point? Let me tell you from experience that Chrome has to be wiped clean if you decide to get rid of it. It has left the updater service not only installed, but running, after I've gotten rid of Chrome. It leaves folders and files in nutty places, and of course the registry entries stay.

I've come to the point where I hand delete every Google entry I can find if I get rid of Chrome (I've had an off and on relationship with it for a long while now, lol). Me, I'd save the favorites to an HTML file and start over. Btw, I really don't think Chrome needs to be the default browser to update, that would be rather silly and I can't see any reason why it would need to be to function. Otherwise, why don't all browsers require it, you know?

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Please see if this helps or is related:
    from the comments section here: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8982037438137564684&postID=7549653791338493806&isPopup=true

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

An update.

Since this problem started, Google Chrome had two more updates. The same situation would happen. Google Chrome could not update.

The first time it happened, I had to uninstall Google Chrome and then use the offline installer. After that, as I mentioned above, Google Chrome updated twice.

The latest update was applied today, but I couldn't get Google Chrome to update by itself.

I remembered that sometime ago I couldn't install extensions in Chromium/Google Chrome. It turned out that Google made it impossible to install extensions while having Google Analytics blocked. So, I decided to unblock it, and Google Chrome updated fine.

I don't like the approach Google's taking. They're damn forcing Google Analytics. :thumbd:

Shouldn't we have the choice to allow or not to allow it? :thumbd:

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

This is why I have such a hard time saying this browser or that browser is better than another. Different, yes. Better, a huge question mark! Long live choices!!

6. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

I had this problem before. Only way I took is uninstall via "Add/remove" then manually delete Chrome folder related then download Chrome installer via GPack. Install and run it,fine. Updatable by itsef till today, I have the latest. :)

speaking G analytics,where did you find it while you're trying install extension ?:doubt:

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

My exgf was on an old version of Chrome. I think some malware had stopped it from updating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.