Google Chrome hotword privacy concerns - What and how

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Let me a-help you. So, what we have today here is medicine for your privacy concerns. A detailed, thorough article explaining and analyzing the recent issues around 'OK, Google' hotword voicesearch in Google Chrome and Chromium, extension and shared module functionality and behavior, how to completely disable the voice search, hidden browser flags, privacy and security considerations, other tips and tricks, and more. This ought to be interesting.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/google-chrome-hotword-story.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Nice. Yeah, Chrome loads a few extensions upon startup even if voice is deactivated in settings etc. View Chrome's task manager quickly after launching. Some eventually quit, but all are initially loaded.

My overall solution was using the flag: "disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages"

Hotword extensions won't load along with all the other prepackaged poop like gWallet.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Dedoimedo - no the worst offense of Google is you can't turn off Google Safe Search. They treat you like a 10 year old kid - if you search for naughty terms, they simply won't be listed in the search results! You can however, bookmark or add to your browser fast dial safesearchoff.com - it goes around the stupid Google restrictions and now you can use Google again as an intelligent adult. Not that the company should be telling you what you're allowed to search for, as if you're too immature to decide that for yourself - not to mention its a violation of personal privacy regardless of whether or not your search is in private window mode.

4. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

I don't know what you're talking about; I have a SafeSearch toggle and a Lock Safesearch button.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.