Google Chrome extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Jan 17, 2010.

1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

1. It would be nice to know if running IE tab is more economical than running IE, either by way of start up time saved or RAM used.
    2. Popularity is one thing. It seems that the developer finally had to put up a caveat that IE tab runs on Chrome in Windows so we may have to subtract the number of folks (okay, maybe just a few) who downloaded it thinking that they can get it to run on a Mac or a Linux box :).
    Re. uninstalling & porkies:
    3a. It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.
    3b. And from the same source, there's smoking versus inhaling.
    3c. So, for better or worse, (American) English is quite versatile ;)

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Unfortunately, IE's settings are used for far more things than most people think. Windows 7 simply deletes the main program.

Its settings applies for almost every internet accessing programs, including other web browsers. Try putting your internet options to maximum and you'll see.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Ermmm.... the accusative present indicative of the auxiliary verb to be? ;)

Well...if it walks like a duck...

Yes it is, yet we British still have more variant spellings than you do! I blame the OED, it took them until 1928 to standardise our language register, exactly a hundred years after Webster standardised the American one. Bloody slackers!

I have found that IE Tab is good for switching into if you are on a site where Iron/Chrome won't render rich text formatting in a text box. In fact you only have to switch into IE Tab when you want to reply to a thread, it seems a lot faster than *faffing about in Internet Explorer. Whether this is a good enough reason to keep it I will have to see.

*British English = faff verb (faffed, faffing) intrans, colloq (also faff about) to act in a fussy, uncertain way, not achieving very much; to dither. ~ Chambers.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Purely as a harmless non sequitur...

I came across this in someone's sig:

"Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world..." ;)

5. Daveski17

Yeah LOL! I forgot that at least 75% of people surfing the Web use IE. That's just plain scary though! :eek:

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

75% may have it on their computers because their computer came loaded with it, but what percentage actually use it? :doubt:

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, the original point was that the IE Tab extension is very popular among Chrome users. Assuming they know what they want, it demonstrates there's quite a need for IE whether it is direct or via the IE Tab.

8. Daveski17

That's a good point. There are some people on these boards who actually prefer IE to anything else. They day after I bought my laptop I downloaded Firefox 2. The comparison in speed, function & just about everything else to IE 7 converted me immediately. The combination of only a Gig of RAM & a heavy AV don't do me any favours. I still have Firefox as it is often useful. I have used Chrome/Iron & Opera & they are all faster & better to use than bloaty slowcoach IE. If this IE Tab extension allows me to open pages that can only function in IE (which is rare really) it does have a use.

I can see why Chrome/Iron is so popular.

9. Daveski17

Is this just due to lazy browser sniffing though? Iron has a user agent switcher although I have never used it. I think you have to make a file & type in a UA of your choice.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

11. Daveski17

Yeah, just as I think we are becoming overly paranoid for no reason, something like this happens. :eek:

Back to IE Tab though, I am finding it quite useful. I can listen to RTE radio now in Chrome for instance.

12. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

I know this a very basic question but there are a couple of references earlier in this thread where posters seem to mention that these Chrome extensions also work fine in Iron. Is that true? And if you only have installed Iron do you install these extensions to it just as if you had Chrome? Thanks.

roark

13. Sealord

Sealord Registered Member

Those from Chrome that I have tried work fine in Iron.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Love the smooth scrolling ones and also got one called "Ultimate Chrome Flag" :D

15. Daveski17

In my experience any Google Chrome extension works exactly the same in Iron as it does in Chrome. The only apparent difference is that a pop-up downloading toolbar emerges above the task bar after you have initiated the download in Iron & asks you if you are sure you want to install. Just click 'Yes' if you do.

16. Doritoes

Doritoes Registered Member

In regards to having a NoScript like extension on Google Chrome, there is only one thing missing now for it to work well. Basically, Google Chrome needs to implement the "canLoad" function call that Safari has right now. This is used for a synchronous call to query the settings to see what should be blocked and what shouldn't. Right now, the only way to query the settings from the core code that does the script blocking in an extension is to use "sendRequest", which is asynchronous and allows other javascript to run while it waits.

I've created an extension that I'm playing around with that gives basic NoScript functionality (no, it's not public). I've tested it on Google.com and Google Maps and it allows me to selectively enable and disable javascript with a browser button. However, when I use it on Google Books and enable javascript with my extension, the site breaks because it appears that I'm not re-enabling the javascript in the right order and the page is javascript order dependent.

Maybe I'll figure out a reliable way to make my NoScript-like extension work using some tricks..... I'll post it up if I get it working.

In the mean time, I've created Better Pop Up Blocker that selectively blocks and unblocks some of the annoying javascript commands used to pop up windows with ads that the adblock extensions and Google's popup blocker miss:
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/nmpeeekfhbmikbdhlpjbfmnpgcbeggic

Be sure to try the pop up blocker test in the link on that page. It is able to bypass Google Chromes pop up blocker when you simply click on some white space or regular text.

17. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi,

Does anyone know if all these extensions, or those that you have tried, install and work fine in Chromeplus? Also for those that use Chromeplus does it uninstall easily and completely? I ask as I have read that uninstalling Google Chrome can be difficult and leaves stuff behind. That is why I am looking to try Chromeplus instead and it says on their website that it does not touch the registry(I think). And does the latest version of Chromeplus come with flash like Google Chrome? I did not think it did yet but I was not sure. Lastly for those that have tried or use Chromeplus, would you recommend it?

Thank you.

roark

18. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  19. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Just noticed that click&clean - https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/ghgabhipcejejjmhhchfonmamedcbeod was updated again last month and is now working fine with Iron. A few months ago when i tried, it didn't work well - removed all the favicons and changes i made to default search engine settings each time. Seems to be fixed now.

Any settings i should be aware of to not use with this extension??

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

YAGBE - Yet Another Google Bookmarks Extension
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

An extension for managing Google Bookmarks, displayed in a tree.

Features include support for nested labels, add/edit/modify bookmarks and labels, searching, sorting, and emailing bookmarks.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/jdnejaepfmacfdmhkplckpfdcjgbeode

21. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Awesome Screenshot: Capture & Annotate - https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/alelhddbbhepgpmgidjdcjakblofbmce?hl=en

Even though i already have a screenshot capture/recorder program installed on my rig, most of the time i just need to take simple screenshots while surfing and this extension works wonders ;)

As you can see by the image, it does more than simply taking pics and works fine in Iron. :D

Attached Files:

22. Daveski17

23. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

24. Daveski17

Has anyone ditched ABP for AdThwart by ttjoseph?

After I had a few filter problems with ABP I tried this & I think I prefer it! :thumb:

25. Daveski17

Not really an extension but this theme makes up for the rather uninspired 'new' easy-on-the-eye colour (I didn't like it when Iron used it either).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.