Google Chrome extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Sorry. I think I misunderstood you.
    But I think you did say Chrome.
    Wish I could help you.
    Hugger

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Hugger- Yes, I said Chrome because I felt most folks would not comment if I said Chrome+. This is THE first time I have encountered something that works for Chrome but not for Chrome+. Thanks for trying & I apologize for the misleading. That was not my intention.

Run Safer- In case anyone here is using Run Safer option from Online Armor -- Run Safer must be turned off when adding extensions, otherwise you get failure. Also, JavaScript must be enabled.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Bill choose option 2, after wards following will appear in address bar (see pic)

Other extentions you might find usefull
    - adsweep = fast adblock
    - adblock = traditional adblock
    - adthwart = ditto but according to saraceno allows javascript block
    - flashblock = see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1643459&postcount=27
    - easy reader = https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1639677&postcount=18
    - new tab behaviour (go to google when pressing new tab)
    - Site Advisor free for chrome
    - WOT free for chrome

-

Attached Files:

4. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

@bellgamin - I am using ChromePlus withOA++ set to 'Run Safer' and have no problems allowing or blocking JS at all. In the drop down menu that appears when you click on the spanner icon there is a 'ChromePlus Options Page' as well as the 'Options'. When you open that under 'Startup options' > misc there are two boxes to tick to block JS and Java. I found that if I had them checked I was having the problems you describe. Perhaps that could be the problem?

Attached Files:

• JS1.JPG
      JS1.JPG
      File size:
      66.8 KB
      Views:
  5. bellgamin

Thanks Kees-sensei, but it doesn't work for Chrome+.

@Dark Star- I see you are using Chrome+. Does Kees' trick, in his post #53, work for you? That is, do you get the cookie & JavaScript toggle icons in the address bar?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I just installed Chrome + and was able to block JS the way I explained in my previous post.
    Could there be a problem with the version you installed?
    Regards.
    Hugger

8. bellgamin

My version is the latest - 1.3.9.0. I am able to block JS, but I do not get the on/off toggle icon in the address bar. Otherwise, Chrome+ functions just fine for me.

I installed Chrome+ in C:\Programs\Browsers\Chrome+. It is totally in that one folder. Could that make a difference I wonder?

9. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Bill - I get both the Cookie and JavaScript toggles by default but only if the site concerned has tried to load a third party cookie or requires JS. If I have already allowed JS for that particular site I don't see the icon so the only way to re-block JS for an already allowed site would be to open up the exceptions from options and remove it from there.

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Flashblock with the adobe 'f' symbol, seems to block flash after it has already loaded. A con would be, if you're living with others, and decide to 'allow' flash on a 'particular site', others may see later, 'oh, he's been watching flash on THAT site'. :isay: :ninja:

The second one is easier to use, can be enabled and disabled, and to me, seems to block flash quicker than the first one. Also doesn't have a list of sites where you've allowed it.

Go the second one.

11. bellgamin

Yesssss!!! Now I get it. I visited a site where I had disallowed JS, and Poof! the icon appeared. As soon as I allowed JS, Poof! the icon disappeared.

Okay, it's better than nothing, but I would muchly prefer an ever-present toggle-icon, as I have in FF & Kmel.

Thanks to all who helped, & especially to Dark Star who solved the mystery & thereby relieved me of my suspicion that there might be something wrong with my computer's implementation of Chrome+.

As to the cookie toggle, I do not need it. I joyfully use Maxa Cookie Manager which works with ALL of my browsers, & also kills flash cookies, web bugs, etc. NOT free, however.

12. acr1965

13. acr1965

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

15. acr1965

I thought it scanned url's and/or had context menu scanning. But apparently it just scans your system. For that reason Hitman Pro is much, much better.

16. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the reply.

17. acr1965

Wow, LinkExtend for Chrome- (not sure how well it works but I'm trying it out today)
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/fjligendbofaimiabfphlehfpaefcncd#

Tried it- uninstalled. No search result ratings appeared. I tried regular google then the https version. As soon as I went attempted a search on the https google site linkextend died. Not sure if this was related or not. All historical scanners, no real time. But this looks to be a worth while extension to keep an eye on.This has a long ways to go before becoming functional.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bdokagampppgbnjfdlkfpphniapiiifn

Th above one looks like it could be useful. Reminds me of a poor man's Optimize Google, except this is Youtube specific.

A couple other Youtube extensions-
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/kaielpkecabnggniojjhghggjedkecfj
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bfbmjmiodbnnpllbbbfblcplfjjepjdn

Attached Files:

18. acr1965

Finally got it to work some. The ratings are slow compared to other raters like WOT. This is especially true of search engine results. Tried again in https search on google, nothing from LinkExtend- actually the extension becomes unresponsive. Also I noticed that every search result had BrowserDefender giving a rating as "unknown". I want to try the extension with just the Norton search rating enabled to see if it speeds up results.

EDIT- enabled just the Norton rater. Also had a separate WOT extension. In a search, ratings were much faster. And as soon as I wrote that the LinkExtend became unresponsive on the next search attempt in google. Now I see that with just Norton ratings enabled LinkExtend still calls all the rating sites in search results.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  19. Daveski17

I've been experimenting with this. Has anyone else installed it?

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This = IE Tab.

Requires a functional IE on the computer. I've used it. It's okay. But I'm not really sure it offers any significant advantage over running the original IE in Sandboxie.

21. Daveski17

Ostensibly it seems like a good idea & it is one of the most popular Google extensions (#3rd) but I will have to test it a bit more to really form an opinion. I hardly ever use IE 8 anyway. Although if it is safer than IE it could be a good idea, I was thinking more of the convenience of not having to open IE which is a bit sluggish sometimes on my laptop. Which is one of the main reasons I like Chrome/Iron anyway, as it is so light & fast! :cool:

I read that someone had uninstalled IE 8 on Win 7 & this extension still worked. That can't be right can it? o_O :blink:

22. Daveski17

I tried this on Iron & got more or less the same results as you have, including the unknown results of BrowserDefender.

I've noticed that the Site Advisor 'more info' link takes you to the Site Advisor site similar to the Firefox/IE extension. I don't know why the developers couldn't have achieved that in SiteAdvisor for Chrome.

I think that you are right though, it may be one to watch in the future. I still find WOT to be faster & better.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The way I look at is:
    IE is nowadays essential on rare occasions. To have IE tab in Chrome presumably consumes some resources whenever Chrome is running. I'd rather experience the slowness of IE once in a while than have the extension occupying any space and consuming even a little RAM all the time.

For those needing to visit IE-only sites frequently it may possibly be a boon.

AS far as IE Tab working in the absence of IE.... Let's get it confirmed by some trustworthy Braveheart here. (Who knows what the uninstallation really does?)

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hi, the impression I have is that whether an extension icon stays visible or not and its location (inside the omnibar or outside) has something to do with page actions and browser actions and whether the extension (if it is a page action extension) has any role to play on the page being viewed.

25. Daveski17

Yeah, that's a really good point. I was wondering just how really useful it could be as an extension. I will have to trial it a bit more, who knows? I may uninstall it eventually.

It appears to be remarkably popular.

Hmmm... *thinks* Microsoft wouldn't be telling *pork pies about the ability to uninstall IE completely from Win 7 would they? ;)

*Pork Pies = Lies (British slang)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.