Google Chrome 4 - updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Not sure if this has been posted, but just read an article about the security improvements in Google Chrome 4.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/G...rs-Browser-Security-With-New-Features-184240/

Also now users can start using more than 1500 extensions.
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions?hl=en-US

Google seems to be combining security features of Opera (cross-site scripting) and the convenience of firefox (extensions).

2. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

but that security is against all bad sites,what is concern is chrome still redirects all browsing habits to their site.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It's good to know the extensions are available. On second thought I really like Chrome the way it is, which probably explains its speed. Recently I've used Firefox for a couple of weeks, and version 3.6 is as fast as Chrome (in terms of perception) IE8 is definitely slower than the others (SmartScreen Filter?).

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Google will not let me simply download the new version of Chrome, but (instead) will only allow download AND install.

Question #1- Is there a way whereby I can download Chrome without having Google install it? (I prefer to install it myself)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Google Chrome insists on putting its executable into Documents & Settings -- an off-putting eccentricity IMO.

Question #2- Is there a Chromium-based browser that allows the USER to select where to install its executable? Iron, perhaps? Or Chrome+ perhaps? Or Chromium itself, perhaps?

5. Saraceno

Osaban, I agree, hopefully the developers keep Chrome simple.

I have noticed the delete private data (or along those lines) has disappeared from the tools menu. You have to now click ctrl+shift+del or go through a series of other options.

Interesting why it was removed - keeping the cache may increase the download speed for most users? I don't know.

Edit - found an extension 'Click and Clean'
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/ghgabhipcejejjmhhchfonmamedcbeod?hl=en-us

- Delete your browsing history,
    - Remove download history,
    - Erase temporary files,
    - Clear cookies and Empty cache,
    - Delete client-side Web SQL Databases
    - Remove Flash Cookies (LSOs)
    - Protect your privacy by cleaning up all traces of your internet activity,
    - Clean up your hard drives and Free up more disk space, icluding secure file deletion using external applications, like CCleaner or Wise Disk Cleaner.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  6. Saraceno

Quite a good add-on feature for either closing all tabs, clearing history, flash cookies, or opening up Chrome's task manager. :thumb:

Also can bring up the dialog box to clear history on exit, when you close the browser, like firefox. Downside, obvious one, the extension uses the same memory as an open blank tab. About 8-10mb memory.
    CC.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.