Google Alert

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jlo, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

Just read a worrying report regarding spywear and trojan being added if you mistype the google adress? More info here http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/googkle.shtml

Does Eset protect against this yet? I am not going to even attemt to visit the mistyped google site :)

Cheers

Jlo

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Pop ups are blocked by IMON.

tECHNODROME

Attached Files:

3. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Thats great to know.

You are braver than me clicking on the link :)

Many Thanks

Jlo

4. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Nice! Cheers :D

5. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

I'm investigating this site right now :ninja:

6. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

New Avatar? Nice:)
    PoopScan :) xa xa xa

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

that's one nasty site - it has 4 trojan/hijackers that I found in a very cursory scan of the HTML - all of which appeared to be blocked by my hosts file, let alone NOD32.

Nothing managed to get through my hosts file to the NOD32 I run - although without a very extensive hosts file, I'm sure they would have...

I'm sure Happy Bytes will provide a more in-depth analysis, and although I'm no security expert, I can see that this site has the potential to be nailing many, many, MANY googlers with finger trouble!

The site itself is hosted on an EV1.net (Houston, TX) IP address and is registered to someone out of St. Petersburg in Russia... if anyone knows someone at EV1.net, it might be worth sending them a quick email... who knows.. it might (should) get pulled for a while....

8. rothko

rothko Registered Member

good to hear Happy! :D while the threats at this site are being looked into, how about a quick update that adds this url to the "Website access blocking" list? this could have been done as soon as this threat was reported and then the individual threats that lurk there could be addressed...just my thoughts, and maybe its already been done or there is more to it than that...

Attached Files:

• imon.JPG
      imon.JPG
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
  9. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

You know, Internet Explorer is the brave men's browser! A true surfer doesn't fear adware, spyware and viruses, but rushes into the fray unprotected!! :D
    My Firefox didn't even let the popups open, so nothing happened, I saw a "clean" webpage. IE6 (with XP SP2) kept on "clicking" (making the popup blocked sound) for minutes, then passed a file to FlashGet for download. IMON terminated another hazard. It's clicking even now, I'll post back if it does anything.

Bottom line: if I didn't know that this site is malicious, I wouldn't have been harmed anyway. After IMON kills a file off a site I won't download anything :S Go Eset!

And I think lee1276 is right this would be a great time to unveil Website Blocking's powers :D

10. Mystique

Mystique Registered Member

Thanks so much for sharing this info. I read it in this thread here and I straight away informed people to warn them. I am not brave enough either to click on the site itself although I was tempted to :rolleyes: . I use Firefox as my browser and I use the built in search bar (which includes yahoo and google) which is very very handy. Saves my fingers from wandering about and misspelling. This is an easy mistake to do with google being so popular a search engine. It is sad that some folks choose to prey on people like this. Surely they can't get away with this for long. o_O

11. Mike415

Mike415 Registered Member

Using opera and admuncher nothing happened. Admuncher says it blocked a webbug and blocked activity when leaving the page

12. ghost2003

ghost2003 Registered Member

13. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

but it has the other sites mentioned at the f-secure page [I think]...
    ntsearch.com and all, yes?

14. ghost2003

ghost2003 Registered Member

ya it does, i should have read the whole page first :-/

15. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Damn, I missed out on the fun. I tried going to googkle.com with MSIE on an unpatched WinXP Pro SP-2 system, no AV, no AT, no firewall, and the site seems to be down. :(

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  16. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:) Thanks for the heads up Jlo. I enjoyed the article as well !! :cool:

17. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

All links go through to CWS, and my hosts file refuses connection.

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

• CWS.JPG
      CWS.JPG
      File size:
      9.4 KB
      Views:
  18. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

I just let it go on one of my test boxes. It sounds like a ticker tape gone awry. ;)

I wonder how infected it will be in about 8 hours. :eek:

19. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Just do a refresh (it did the same to me) and listen to the fun. :cool:

20. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Well Blackspear! How cool is that? Wish you lived in my neck of the woods and could teach me how to do that. Love this forum.....but I will err on the side of caution and keep well away from the danger zone.

Elray :doubt:

21. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Pretty cool, I love my defences :D

LOL, ahhh but I do, you and I are part of Wilders, a great place to learn :D To learn what I use and for what purpose just take a look here, you will see what I consider “Tight Security”, and if you want to go down that track take one piece of software at a time, ask about it, install it, know how to maintain it, and then move on to the next piece of software. In order for me to use a piece of software it must be simple to use and maintain, or it gets the flick quick smart ;) :D

That is a good thing, until at least you are very confident in your security, and that security is layered, and part of that security includes imaging and confidence in the backup of your data.

Cheers :D

22. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thanks for the link - makes good reading. Won't keep intruding on this thread - suffice it to say that I probably fall into the middle ground of your security suggestions. I'll study up on the rest!

Elray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.