Google acquiring Postini?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MikeBCda, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

As quite often happens, this might be the wrong place for this. So feel to move it appropriately, if necessary.

Reuters Internet (via My Yahoo) had an article this morning that Google will be acquiring Postini (probably best known for SpamGuard and VirusGuard services for email providers) for a small fortune, something like $3/4 billion US.

Considering Google's relatively recent acquisition of DoubleClick, which has been notorious for years and is on many blacklists, do I not smell a fairly serious conflict of interest here and maybe even a bad new security hazard? Or has hanging around here too long made me too paranoid?

Obviously the article was quite brief. Anyone heard any info about precautions Google will (hopefully) be taking?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The ISP I use offers Postini filtering for email. It is great at catching spam and viruses.

Postini uses McAfee antivirus and it is usually updated quickly. I've seen one virus get through the program before it was updated.

I believe Postini will be a stand alone operation although Google will use some of their technology.

We'll see.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

So does mine, Ron, thanks. And I agree, it does a great job (the virus end, that is) -- my avast's email provider has never really "woken up" as a result.

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I can't provide any insight or additional info, but you've raised an excellent point. BTW, my company uses Postini as well.

One thing is likely, the only oversight that Google will have on this will be Postini's customers.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

My ISP also provides Postini.
    Nice service!

Interesting subject about conflict of interest though.
    Time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.