Goodbye to BOClean

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by LoneWolf, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Ah Mercurie: :'(
    &
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1062661&postcount=72

Nicely put: ...something in the air....:(

I miss PSC too.
    STill got it (BOC) here, but; dont go umm..looking for interaction.. with Comodo as I did with PSC.
    I'd have to say there are a couple of outright offensive posters there: cest la vie guerre, I'll give as good as I get if I have to, ...but... :doubt:

@Hermes Computer
    whoah: cool: :)
    nice affirmation re CBOC as an effective adjunct

Regards.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

After searching around for a replacment for BOClean i'm giving it one more try.
    I'm past the EULA and if it gives me no problems at all then it may stay.
    BOClean is on my system again, on probation if you will.
    Any problems and it's Rollback time.

3. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

The EULA is not an issue. If someone sues YOU because you're using Boclean..........that's the jist of it, along with you using it illegally. If you have a lawyer, let him/her read it; they'll tell you the same thing. Man, people get bent out of shape over nothing (me included), especially AWESOME free products.

I've been using Boclean now for the last month or so. What an easy to use, powerful, freackin sweet addition to the arsenal. Dare I say it's the best anti-malware product I've used? I think so!! :thumb:

4. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

How can you use it illegally? You download it, install it and then use it so how is it possible to do anything wrong with it?

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Another issue of the EULA is theie collecting of data, and what exactly is being collected. The denial of any data-mining has raised the level of suspicion in many users, past and present. Raising such issues in the Comodo forums is like asking about KAV & chkdsk here, (I'm also a member of their forum) and that creates the best reading over there, other than the uninstaller issues of their FW...

6. 19monty64

1)There is an on-going court-case about this matter...
    2)Making more than just a back-up copy...
    3)....

7. fred128

Monty,
    This is interesting. Do you have a citation or a link that describes the case? Thanks.

8. fred128

I think I understand a little bit of what's going on after reading the EULA. Are they saying that you cannot install BoClean in more than one computer even if they are for personal, home use only?

9. 19monty64

10. fred128

Thanks for this information. From what I read there, I get the feeling they are not all that concerned with their free software like the firewall and BoClean but the paid versions that are the basis of their business. For instance if someone in one company that pays for the services, gives it to another office in the same company for nothing. Comodo would be out income because they sell on the basis of number of licenses. That's of great concern for any company owning intellectual property.
    Personally, I don't think they really care about the free programs because those are great PR for them.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If it's EULA is more demanding and as unreasonably invasive as is been indicated by many users, then it's but a small matter to completely dismiss it entirely and never look back again.

Something i done long ago with the likes of Zone Alarm :D

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yea, I knew that was likely going to be a problem for all us old BOClean users. It would be tough to find a replacement. :'(

13. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

You could always give a look to Trojanhunter 5.0 it is a powerful Trojan killer as well..

14. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

It would have been nice if youd note down your test results Hermes.

15. 19monty64

Yea, I'm still looking... :'(

16. Hermescomputers

Mmmmh... Well, I have no scientific test results to contribute. Only anecdotal & empirical positives to report...

Detected and cleaned with TrojanHunter 5 On a client pc yesterday using 30 day trial version: (Was missed by BOCLEan by the way).
    Found trojan file: C:\Program Files\WinRAR\Default.SFX (Generic.RarDrop.B)
    Found trojan file: C:\Program Files\WinRAR\Zip.SFX (Generic.RarDrop.B)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  17. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

Well, I have no business in this thread, but ...
    The above are most likely false positives:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1083532
    also
    http://www.castlecops.com/t179835-Worm_Fujack_ac_False_Positive.html
    http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=2402

18. Hermescomputers

19. GES/POR

Powerful huh, no offense but i really wish ats were good and thats exactely what they ¨were¨ see.

20. Hermescomputers

I wouldn't be too quick to judge a tool because of a few false positives here. What really matters is the many many real Trojans it actually does clean up no? Besides for me they are simply another tool in the arsenal... an imperfect fall back position if you will.

21. GES/POR

Unfortunetly atm i have to believe there is no need for ats anymore. I sure hope im wrong.

22. Hermescomputers

Unfortunately I still see much to many systems where ATS's are the only tools able to clear up the mess... I wouldn't give up on them just yet.:cautious:

23. mercurie

I agree, but it is getting harder and harder to keep the faith. ;)

24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

AT's or at least BOClean detects and cleans more then trojans.
    From thier website:

"Internet trojan horse programs, spyware, keyloggers, rootkits, pseudorootkits, hijackers, adware, annoyware, email relays, spam proxies, spam relays, scam downloads and email/spam robots ("bots") are perhaps the greatest security threat to individuals and institutional networks in existence. By installing malware (short for MALicious softWARE) on a machine, computer crackers can go anywhere, see and do anything they want with your computer, including banking records and your most intimate and personal documents. In addition to wreaking havoc with your machine and pillaging your personal property, some malware, specifically trojan horse servers, can even record your personal conversations if you have a microphone connected to your computer. Malware can invade your system without you ever knowing it and are designed to elude firewalls by using ports which are not blocked by network "firewall" security software or proxy servers. Many of them disable the most frequently used antivirus and software firewalls."

I'm not saying that BOClean will get them all,not by a long shot but IMO it is a valuable part of my layered defense. Still kinda upset with the Comodo buyout of BOClean but I looked and just did not find anything quite like BOClean.
    If your interested in what BOClean protects aginst just clink on this link for up to date detections.

BOClean's current covered malware list

The beauty of BOClean is that it scans memory every ten seconds so if something gets past your other defense's and starts to run, as long as it's in the def's, BOClean should nail it dead.

25. mercurie

I agree, some malware will mess up your system, but what you described can mess up your LIFE! :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.