Good "silent" anti-spam measure?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CaptSaltyJack, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Registered Member

I've been using SpamBayes (Outlook plugin) for a while, I like it, it's very effective. The only thing is, I still SEE all the spam that comes in. Yes, it gets moved to the "Junk" folder, but Outlook still notifies me I have new mail.

I'm looking for a silent measure, like we have at my workplace (not sure what they use). Basically, once a day you get a summary of all mail that was held by the server.. and you have the option of deleting it, blacklisting it, or releasing it (then next time Outlook connects to the mail server, it will grab that message). Very cool.

I'm looking for something similar.. it doesn't have to have the email digest thing, but it should "hold" onto spam messages so that when Outlook connects via the spam's proxy, I never even see the spam emails. I will just have to check manually what's being held in "quarantine."

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be free..that would be nice, but if it costs $40 or so, I'd pay for that.

Thanks

2. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

3. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Registered Member

I think it just tags spam a la POPfile. I don't think it will hang onto it and prevent your email app from ever seeing it. Thanks though :)

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

In order for you to have a spam solution that will both prevent you from ever seeing the spam email and prevent it from ever reaching your comptuer, it will need to be external. It would need to either be a network appliance, such as a hardware firewall, or something on the email server.

For a network appliance, the easiest would be something like Spam Cube (which is reasonably priced for what it does, IMO, at $150). Otherwise, if you have an old computer that's not being used anymore and you have the time and knowledge, you could use one of the many free Linux based proxy firewalls that include spam filtering.

For a server-side solution, you could potentially get a GMail account and use it to check your other email accounts. It will automatically put spam in a separate folder on the server, although I don't know about getting it to send you a daily digest.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

OE user here.

The problem with Spambully type of programs is that they make a spam.dbx file which can be huge.

Blacklisting spammers would generate a list larger than most AV's blacklists.

I use Palmail which can show as many lines I select of any emails that are at my server and can delete any unwanted ones,then I open OE to retrieve any good emails.

Now if Palmail could be developed further to use my address book as a whitelist and auto delete all the spam it would be ideal.

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

A friend of mine runs a company called "Cleartext" who have a product called Clearemail. http://www.clearemail.net/

Clearemail is hosted mail, but the actual filtering is performed by messagelabs.

Some of our corporate clients use messagelabs - not only do they filter spam - they also filter viruses, malware and phishing. You don't get 100% detection - but you do get close.

The only downside with messagelabs is sometimes mail gets delayed which can be a PITA.

You can get a free trial - so worth having a look at.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.