Good security suite (made from separated apps)- advice needed.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mrnikt, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrnikt

mrnikt Registered Member

Hi
    First - Excuse my bad english :rolleyes:
    I need advice concerning good security suite created from separated apps.

Now I'm using Avira Premium AV and Outpost Pro firewall. But I found it not enough for my PC security. I was using Kaspersky AV and Kaspersky Internet Security but it missed a lot of malware.

I have tried MBAM and A-squared but in free versions they don't give a resident security althou the are perfect on-demand anti-malware scanners (for me :) )
    And now please advice me - would it be a good suite :
    Avira - Antivir
    Outpost - firewall
    MBAB / A-squared - on demand scan
    ThreatFire - resident anti-malware.

I need advice concerning - red / bolded apps, particularly resident anti-malware app (preferably free :) )

Maybe other propositions for on -demand and resident anti-malware.
    Thanx in advance
    Chris.

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I suggest you use MBAM and/or SAS and/or A-squared as on-demand scanners. Norton Security Scan and Clean is also a good on-demand AV. You can also consider using a sandbox, such as Sandboxie, GesWall or DefenseWall. Outpost has some form of HIPS so you shouldn't need ThreatFire.

However, if you were using Avira Premium AV and Outpost Pro firewall / Kaspersky suite and still got infected, then you must have done something wrong. Always use common sense when you're browsing the web, use a browser other than IE and keep your software up to date. This should minimise your chance of getting infected.

3. mrnikt

mrnikt Registered Member

Thank you.
    I need RESIDENT anti-malware. I know that MBAB and a-squared can be used ad on-demand scanner but I need resident program to protect my PC in real time.
    Chris

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello mrnikt;

I suggest:
    Avira Premium; real-time antivirus protection (as well as other malware threats) with excellent detection capability.
    Also relatively light/fast and a proven performer.

Comodo version 3.8 FW with D+

Firefox with NoScript and AdBlock.

Returnil or SandboxIE.

Keep SAS and MBAM as well as A2 (free) for on-demand scanners. Also, Eset online antivirus scanner.

Finally, a daily HDD image.

Too much ?
    Some will suggest that using a program such as returnil or SandboxIE eliminates the need for any third party AV, AS, or FW, but I don't think so.
    I believe that security involves a multi-layered approach and, of course, smart surfing.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Avira Premium plus Outpost Firewall already provides oustanding resident protection. You can also use a sandbox, such as Sandboxie, GesWall or DefenseWall, for added protection.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

GL. I think KIS is the best by far & it wasn't good enough? Is it just me that thinks your OS is not fully patched? Or that you invited malware onto your computer? o_O

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

In line with others here I'd recommend Sandboxie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.