Good Scanner for Removing Adware and Other Junk?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandonn2010, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Today I took a look at my 12 y/o brother's PC, as he was having problems logging into Minecraft. First I noticed his Google Chrome homepage had been changed to Deltasearch, he had Babylon, Yantoo, something called Browser Protect which 7 VT scanners detectd as adware, and other adware and junk. Bitdefender free had blocked none of it, which I understand as it is not full malware, yet even Malwarebytes detected nothing in a quick scan. I'd imagine Hitmanpro would have detected a lot of that junk, yet it doesn't have free removal. Is there any free OD scanner that is good at removing adware and junk?

Thanks

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

EmSisoft:thumb:

3. aztony

aztony Registered Member

SuperAntispyware is a good tool for that kind of job.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

5. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Spybot is actually good at cleaning those stuff. Just not the real malware ;)

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

That stuff sounds familiar to me.This was the junk that came with regseeker and hitman pro removed all of it.
    SAS is another good option too.

7. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

I work as a technician and thus I clean lots of infected computers. I always uninstall **** like toolbars and alleged search engine helpers before the cleaning with some scanners such as MS Safety Scanner, MBAM, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, DrWeb CureIt, HiJackThis... But I always had to clean the browsers manually after all this stuff.

Some weeks ago I discovered a tiny app called AdwCleaner that takes care of all those missing registry keys and browser entries!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know that purists don't like these kind of automated tools but hey it works and it's very useful!

You can get it here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

8. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Yep, tried AdwCleaner and it got rid of some leftover stuff, and got rid of the DeltaSearch that I couldn't really get rid of. It's now part of my USB toolkit.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: trying now;) thanks

10. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Dude, this app is tight! I downloaded and ran, it came back with a lot of junk. And I run CCleaner, SlimCleaner, and Powertools Lite weekly. Thanx a bunch!:D

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've been using AdwCleaner a lot since I first heard of it here, it finds a lot of things that software like MBAM misses.

12. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

13. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Good call NSG001. A few of my hated toolbars and adware programs. Especially that darn Mywebsearch. That thing is everywhere.

14. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

From what I've heard, the tool has recently been discontinued, but it can still be useful.

That said, most of the suggestions offered are helpful, but ideally you'll still want to post at one of the reputable malware removal forums, as even after running several of the tools mentioned there will very likely still be undetected stuff left to be removed.

15. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

delta and yantoo were classiefied as trojans.

so the normal way to get rid is uninstalling, then a malware cleaner like mbam/mbar and adwcleaner. if those fail, others will fail also, dont look further.

you can try a boot-cd (non-writeable - sticks are writeable). but best solutiuon after all tricks failed is to setup OS from scratch (or image), some dirt always remain.

change passwords!

hint: set up an limited user account (LUA) for your brother, he aint capable to handle his behavior. admin is yours only.

HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.