good idea to slipstream Xp SP3 ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Long View, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Here is some:

RockXP
    Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

Have you think about to download or borrow orginal XP CD and slipstream SP3? I always reformat laptops after I got those because I really hate preinstalled crap.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Mine also came pre-activated, the main exception being a different code returned by keyfinder than was attached to the case.
    *Search "xperience xp january 2005" for what appear's a likely activation work-around (/2005_01_01_archive.html blogspot).

S

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I have exact same thing with my Dell Latitude D820. I thought that key which is on the cd is volume license or something and they use it in many computers.

4. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Perhaps someone else has some similar experience to this, but this is what happened with me.

I used an XP SP2 OEM disk, and installed it on two different machines. Each had their own key so it was legal, I just didn't want to reinstall XP-SP1 from dell on my laptop then apply sp2 after since I had the SP2 disk handy.

A couple months ago, I copied the CD to my HD and used nlite to slipstream SP3 into the disk and burn a new image. Also made a couple other minor tweaks just to speed up the install (choose the timezone, etc).

With the original disk, I have never ever ran into a windows file protection error asking me to insert the CD. However after installing, cleanly, XP-SP3 on my laptop, I have run into it a few times wanting my original CD.

Could I have done something to the install, or by some chance might I have forgotten that I did something after the previous installs?

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Loose end's lead to speculation KM. Could you, might you have - sure. nLite stripping an OEM? Take a look @ the link I left for LV.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.