good idea to slipstream Xp SP3 ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Long View, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Going to install windows Xp Pro on a new machine. I wonder whether it is better to install Xp and then update to SP3 or better to slipstream SP3 ?
    I think that by installing Xp and then updating is likely to be the safest but may leave loads of junk behind ( even if I remove the files known to be safe to remove). SlipStreaming may result in a small install but runs the risk of error.

any thoughts ?

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

All I can say is I slipstreamed it instead of using RyanVM's updates, then integrated with Siginets tool many add-ons. Seems to work fine. However, I went back to RyanVM's last update pack. Has most of the same stuff anyway.

Sul.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Either way has a potential for errors. Personally i've never had an error from slipstreaming a service pack but i have had many errors from trying to install a service pack.

Plus by slipstreaming you'll always have the disk handy for future installs.

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

If you plan on using sfc /scannow or a repair installation in the future, you might be glad you have it slipstreamed.

5. Long View

Thanks for all replies. when Installed I will use Shadow Protect and biuld up a series of images as I go. I will probably try both - mainly to see if a SlipStreamed XP SP3 Installation is smaller. I realize that I could use a Lite install but am concerned that vital bits might be missed and hope that SlipStreaming would make the total install smaller without leaving out any essentials.

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Why ?

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  8. Long View

looks like there is a difference between an Integrated Slipstream and an ordinary slipstream ? Is this correct ? and if so does it make any difference apart
    from the scf/ scannow issue ?

9. MrBrian

For the reasons that GlobalForce kindly pointed out.

10. MrBrian

I believe /integrate is the method by which the slipstreaming takes place. I used AutoStreamer to automate it though.

11. GlobalForce

LV,

To slipstream is to integrate. Short on investigation nLite I presume auto's it. As far as differences .... I lean toward's the reason MS include's that switch. If you're marginally proficient within a shell, I'd pass on AS and execute those command's manually. If it's oem, comcast covered slipstreaming specific's for sp2.

Steve

12. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

By using nLite and slipstreaming sp3-there shouldnt be any problems with running sfc/scannnow.

To make doubly certain you can retain the i386 directory in the C drive and do a registry patch see here
    and sfc will access that rather than ask for a disk.

Previously had no problem running sfc with sp3.
    Now had the usual one

2008-07-17_173409.png

but no matter which was inserted -always the wrong one and eventually a BSOD.
    Realised the CD Drive letter had changed from the original and Windows couldnt locate it.
    So if you insert the CD prior to running sfc/scannow,the process will complete satisfactorily,with a bit of assistance(or just correct the new location in the registry).

Anyway, nLite is highly recommended for its versatility and unmatched ability to cut out flab . I am running a flawless sp3 install made by it.
    Not difficult to master at all-download the sp3 ISO from MS-install nLite-do a few dummy runs if you like.
    See
    here

Will save a lot of time as compared to an update and the OS will be much smaller and more responsive.

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Integrated option is slipstreaming. The sp3 files are integrated with the install media (eg the files are copied into the dll-cache).
    I can conform no seperate servicepackfiles folder is created.

14. Long View

followed the instructions on

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xpsp3_slipstream.asp

and everything went pretty much according to plan. Have just tested the CD on a spare machine and so far so good. Looks like the install is smaller than installing Xp, updating to SP3 and then removing files.

ran scf /scannow and it worked just fine

will play with nlite another day. My concern is that I might easily remove something that I later require.

15. GlobalForce

Satisfaction yes? Good! Thank's for the follow-up LV. Now "Cromwell country" .... as in Oliver?

S

16. Hairy Coo

There are general safeguards in nLite to prevent this.

17. Long View

Yes as in Oliver - If only he had lived a few more years I would have been a citizen and not a subject and you wouldn't have had a monarchy to overthrow.

18. Long View

Yes I will def play with it later. Only took 31 seconds to make a Shadow Protect image -- so perhpas with Nlite it will be so small that I can make a sub 20 second image :D

19. Hairy Coo

Anyway -you cant go wrong with a Paul Thurrot method -good find

Fantastic SP speeds!!

20. Long View

Now that i have sorted one machine I'm wondering if I can do the same on an acer laptop ? The problem is that Windows Xp for the Travelmate c300 comes on 2 or 3 CD's with all the usual Norton Junk etc.

Has anyone tried to Slipstream this sort of Disk ?

21. GlobalForce

You mean OEM, Acer OEM? Do one of those disk's carry the OS all by it's lonesome?

S

22. Long View

unfortunately not. There are 4 Cds. The first boots to windows 98 and I think I recall that all 4 disks get used. The disks all have images on. another reason not to buy laptops ?

23. GlobalForce

My oem laptop came supplied on separate disk's - window's, driver's and extra's. Still, NOT forthright. I'll post if I find something.

S

24. GlobalForce

25. Long View

sounds fantastic - certainly worth a try. One problem is the License key. The laptop came pre-activated ? will have to look through old papers. I may be wrong but I think there are programs that will allow a system to be interrogated
    to show the key ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.