Good Deals on Avast

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have some time on my AVs, but in a few months will consider what I want to do.
    Avast Pro, or better yet Avast IS, is smoothly running on my systems. I like the protection of KIS, but if the problems with it shutting down by itself continues I will probably go with Avast.

At this time Downloadcrew has some pretty good deals on Avast, as well as others. I am pretty sure, from past experience, that the license does not start until activated.

If anyone finds a really great deal please post.

Ebay has some great ones, but the time on the license begins at purchase.

Jerry

2. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Is ita widespread problem or just something happening to you?

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It may be linked to IE10. I have removed IE10 and reverted to IE9, but there are several who have the same or similar problem indicated on the Kaspersky Forum.

As much as I admire the protection offer by Kaspersky it has always seemed to be more buggy than other AVs I have used. I have abandoned it at least twice in prior years, but sooner or later I try it again.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

there was a discount promo code listed here on wilders about a year ago that was just for wilders members...I believe it was 50% off or something like that...a search may turn it up although I don't know if it's still good or not...it was a nice discount

6. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Wow! I'm having flashbacks to richrf from back in 2007 or 2008. I remember him having major problems with Kaspersky, and he ditched it and then blasted their product....and at that time, Kaspersky was slightly worshipped here, so he got some abuse for bashing rather than praising KAV. I think time has changed the perception of many regarding KAV's "issues".

IE10 also seems to have some issues with Bitdefender, so it is an IE10 problem. My guess is that Microsoft will probably be issuing another update or three to "correct" this issue....

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. It appears that there are some good deals around. I just did not know where. Now I do.
    As stated, I have returned to IE9, so we'll see "What the future holds."

Thanks, All.:thumb: :thumb:

Jerry

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I love the new Avast IS 8. My wife's Norton IS was running out so I had a 3 month trial for AIS 8. It's super light, pretty silent and plays nicely with everything. I put the "secure browsing" icon on her desktop and told her to use that for online banking. I haven't heard anything from my wife....in regards to her laptop. ;)

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

KIS works fine with Windows 8 and IE 10... :ninja:

11. The Hammer

Avira problem free thus far concerning IE10, so not necessarily a "Microsoft issue".

12. JRCATES

I'm glad you're not having a problem with this....but if Avira doesn't have a problem, but others do....are you saying that means that it is NOT a Microsoft issue o_O

I'm certainly not saying or even suggesting that ALL THE OTHERS are having this problem, but Kapsersky AND Bitdefender ARE both having a problem with it....that's why I said that it is a Microsoft issue. Perhaps I would have been better served had I said that it is "LIKELY" to be a Microsoft issue.

13. The Hammer

Not all users of Kaspersky apparently. See post by xxJackxx. I suspect he's not alone.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't know about W8, but there are enough reports of problems to say that there is some degree of incompatibility between W7, IE10, and Kaspersky.
    Obviously it is not a case of 100% of users having the problem, but there is very little doubt it is a problem on some systems.

There is no guarantee that there is not a similar Kaspersky incompatibility with W8 and IE 10. I am confident that there will be a fix, but until I am sure of that I will steer clear of IE10. I don't use IE anyway if I can help it.

Jerry

Jerry

15. JRCATES

I never said "ALL". I simply mentioned that there is a problem between IE10 and Kaspersky and IE10 and Bitdefender on at least one user of each's end.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is in this thread. Are you arguing just to argue? Because it sure sounds that way.

16. The Hammer

No I'm not arguing for arguments sake. The problem may be similar but proprietary technologies employed by the Av vendors in question. In which case it's not Microsoft that necessarily needs to make the adjustment. That all.

17. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Laughing...

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I sincerely doubt a promo code will work after a year.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It appears that the prices are the same. I am not sure what the Promo Code was, but when I click on one of the links Digital River shows the old promo price. Since I am not ready to buy and have the time start on the license I did not go through with the purchase.

It is a shame, as far as I am concerned, that the time does not start until activated. Otherwise I would go for the IS for multiple years.

Jerry

20. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

some promo codes do not have expiration dates although I just checked the avast store and don't see where they have a place to put in discount codes anymore

21. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

I got a good deal from download crew a few months ago, I think around $10.00

22. shadek

shadek Registered Member

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If I recall correctly, those licenses do not start time running until activated.
    Can anyone verify thato_O?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

24. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

well I had one sitting and loaded Avast on my wife's machine and it only had 7 mths left so I think it starts as soon as you purchase...

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. Evidently my memory was flawed.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.