Good Combo?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Wordward, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

All right I admit it I'm bored, but I do wonder what the consensus is on using Zone Alarm Anti-spyware and ThreatFire together? I have Avast Home as my AV and am behind a router firewall. However if one believes in a layered approach to security, wouldn't adding TF be a good choice to round mine off?

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Look at my sig-good buddy and wonder!:eek:

Yes I tries ZAAS and Threatfire,but came to the conclusion that the ZA HIPS was doing such a sterling job-it was pointless running both ie TF was never alerting or they were alerting in unison.

I guess nobody except a few experts like Lusher,really know where the overlap is,but TF certainly wasnt hurting or slowing things down.

On the other hand -you are behind a router,why not go Monty's way - use TF as a firewall and get rid of ZA.

3. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

TF with custom-rules has stopped me from trying out any of the "latest-greatest" firewalls, but Wordward likes trying out various set-ups. I went with just AV+TF because of the low-impact on my system, which means that I don't need to reboot as often to reclaim ram, maybe every week or two. (Wordward probably has 2 gig or more so its not a prob for him.)

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Actually I only have 512MB of RAM and my problem is trying too much stuff. LOL. Obsession is the nature of this,but also fun. I will stop now however, and as I admitted in another thread that was deleted. I am also Duke1959. While it was hard to make this confession, it was also theraputic and needed for reasons I'll spare you on. LOL. Thanks to you and Hairy Coo for all your help and I will stick to AVG Pro and TF. I just now need to once again try and move on in my life , but will miss everyone in the forum. I need to finish a book I started 3 years ago and believe it will be successful. This experience will help me in some way, and I believe it happened for a reason. Take care all.

5. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Darryl,

With so little memory you must be getting performance hits in all your apps.-suggest you buy at least another 512mb and fit it yourself-its quite simple to do!

Anyway all the best for your book venture to which you should devote all your energy -and see you around soon:D

3 big moos

from the Coo

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Sorry 'bout that Wordward...figured you had more!!! The "layered-approached" makes enough of a difference on my 1 gig, hence my desire for "lightness in security" approach. Anything smaller (512 or less) I would (and have) install Linux. Maybe it was Linux that got me started on ram-conservationo_O

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Time to hit the book again. :D Best wishes on its completion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.