good Av for high risk surfers ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Banshee, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

High risk surfing? The only answer I can think of would be virtual Linux (booting from the CD) and Firefox to be truly safe.

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

avast! is fine, why do you thinks its not ? I also said I like AntiVir but I'm more loyal to avast! (long time user) and I like the siren when bugs are caught :).

When I go to dangerous sites I rely on FF, avast, sandboixe, firewall (forgot this) and my brain. Sandboxie has a simple tool called "clear sandbox", visit the site and clear the sanbox, start fresh for the next one.

BTW, I don't do this in everyday life, more so in testing things. I do this on my dangerous surfing PC, the OS is expendable and has no info worth stealing.

3. marcromero

marcromero Guest

High risk surfing is a crap shoot, regardless the protection, in my opinion.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

If thats true I'll bet on my loaded dice :cool: untill I get caught :D

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

get a suite, yes .. any suite, whatever you like.

use a router with firewall,

and get acronis true image, you shouldnt need nothing more.

6. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I didn't say avast is no good.I simply meant that if i were to do some high risk surfing I would go for nod/kav... ( forgot to mention f-secure) which are the best in catching stuff, or so I seem to read (av-comparatives).I trialed them and surfed plenty and they all did very well.I would feel safer.If you like avast and feel safe visiting the darkest side of the net just go for it :)

Sandboxie is sure a good idea.

Thanks

7. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

sandboxie you fools! :)

8. Banshee

Acronis True image ? I have it ,I have it lol.I wouldnt be without it.If I stuff up, a few clicks ,a few mins waiting and I am good to go lol

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Out of curiosity, have you tried Avast Home for high risk surfing? It might be better than most think. Why not give it a try, and educate the rest of us??:D :D

Best,
    Jerry

10. Banshee

Jerry,

Nope,Fastgame is already doing that.Ask him ? lol

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: High risk surfers? no need to look too far. High school or college/university students are among them, hope this is a fair assessment. And guess what has been deployed in these institutions, DeepFreeze, which is probably the most popular one. You can do anything, nothing will casuse damages to your real drive. Of course, you still need good AV for backup and most importantly a reliable outbound control firewall, so that malware has no chance to communicate w/ outsideworld. Upon reboot, everything is back to the way it was. Think about it.:-*

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

WinAntivirus Pro

That way, you don't have to worry about getting infected because you 'Already Are'!.:D

13. tayres

tayres Guest

Sandbox software running in a limited user account is much safer than running any AV in an administrator account.

14. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

IMHO Firefox + Noscript + Adblock run through Sandboxie will give the best possible protection.
    Ghost Images and a clone on an unhooked slave as the perfect setup here

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2006
  15. btman

btman Registered Member

While I had avast, i never had a virus slip through, I've migrated to Kaspersky and the same thing has happened, none gets through.

16. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Problem with this is that any zero day attack will more than likely get through whereas running your browser through Sandboxie should provide a much safer first line of defense against such.

We can http://www.aximsite.com/boards/images/smilies/argue.gif all day about this but that's my opinion.

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

DeepFreeze is indeed one of the possible rollback solutions, supported by security softwares that stop the installation or execution of malwares (Anti-Executable for instance), while your firewall can be used to stop outgoing traffic.
    The most important thing is to get a clean computer back after reboot.

Image backup softwares, like Acronis True Image, allow you to restore a CLEAN image file, that was created during an OFF-LINE installation from scratch.

18. jasonago

jasonago Registered Member

Avira and a good firewall do. I use ghostwall for inbound protection.

I relied on Avira's scanning capabilities to detect possible programs that may leak infos out of your PC.

And once in a while I scan my PC using Spybot S&D. Although Spybot may not be the best anti-spyware, I like its Immunize featuire as well as it is a relatively lightweight program.

BUT if you like to scan HTTP traffic to protect you from malicious websites, try Kaspersky. It can warn you even before you download a malicious file.

19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

A good av for high risk surfing?
    KAV,Avira,Nod.

I would think that you need more though.
    A bi-directional firewall for one.
    Spyware Blaster would be a good idea.
    An alternative browser(Operta,FF,K-Meleon)would help.

20. jasonago

I agree with you. Even if you try to use the Immunize function of Spybot or install a very good AV, still IE is a favorite target for hackers...

I use Firefox and it is good although it can slow down your PC a bit. Opera is fast and lightweight and very standard base.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ohhh, dont use spybot, its poo-poo.

if your looking for something free, there is just sooo much better out there, spyware terminator just to name one.

22. jasonago

how poor spybot is?

I haven't experimented with antispywares because I always rely on antivirus. I only use it for cleaning remnants of spywares...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.