good Av for high risk surfers ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Banshee, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

We have many threads here with the subject reading "best av" etc.. etc.Many posts in reply to such contain the words "as long as you are a safe surfer..."

What if you are not a safe surfer?

I was wondering...what people think should be a good setup for high risk surfers:cool:

2. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Install some sort of site adviser that blocks dangerious websites. Install a antivirus that scan's http trafic in real time. I'm a Kaspersky user and they scan HTTP trafic and blocks access to a site/link that contains malware.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if your not a safe surfer then something like,kav+prevx1 or kav+online armor+hostsfile+SSM etc. you would need alot to protect yourself if you a highrisk surfer and what i said above still couldnt protect you completely but would help alot. online now drops rights for internet explorer and you could put the unsafe site that you want to go to anyway in the untrusted sites and get the webscanner to block the dangerous stuff.

btw i know that your just wondering and im guessing your not gonna just be a high risk surfer for no reason.

lodore

4. Banshee

Of course Kaspersky should be one of the top choices for avs.Many other avs have http traffic scanners.Even avast does.Would avast be enough tho-Prob the question should have been. What av would do the job better? Maybe you'd need other programs.. maybe ssm should be part of the arsenal as well. Just a few thoughts

5. ink

ink Registered Member

sanboxie is enough, then delete the contents.

6. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

yes that's the best think !! Put your browser in sandboxie and nothing can happen :D

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have yet to see anything break the Firefox + Noscript + JAVA turned off -combination when it comes to surfing on dubious sites.
    But if you by "high risk surfing" mean no patched windows or Internet Explorer with everything set to on in a admin account - no AV will save you I guess. Sure they´ll protect you against what they have signatures on and some with their heuristics but there is new security threats emerging every day. But my personal experience is that you have search hard for the bad stuff if you want to get infected. I believe that clicking on infected attachments in Outlook is the most common way to get infected?

You could also install a HIPS, but the drawback there is that you have to spend alot mouse clicks on confirming/denying things happening on you computer.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would say sandbox e.g. greenboader then nothing can excape it.
    or online armor and then when the webscanner box comesup block all dangerous content.

9. Banshee

>I have yet to see anything break the Firefox + Noscript + JAVA turned off

I have heard of Noscript plenty but never had a look at it.Java turned off ? Xcuse my ignorance and the dumb question. but.If you turn off java will u be able to surf no prob ?

And, yes sandboxing your browser should do the trick :)

>But if you by "high risk surfing" mean no patched windows or Internet >Explorer with everything set to on in a admin account - no AV will save you I guess.

No, surfing with unpatched os is not high risk surfing its something else:cool:

> I believe that clicking on infected attachments in Outlook is the most common way to get infected?

I do not use outlook.As far as I remember even if u had the preview pane enabled you could get infected without u clicking on anything.Not sure they fixed it

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

High risk surfing requires a rollback solution, that recovers your system partition during reboot (shortest method) or restoration (longest method).

Separating and isolating your personal data on an external harddisk is also very safe, because you can turn it OFF during high risk surfing.

Don't depend on security softwares, because none of them are foolproof.

EDIT :
    Read these two articles and pay attention how they planned to restore the honey pot.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5414502.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6035455.stm

This is of course a very extreme situation, but nevertheless close to high risk surfing
    and it will depend on your security softwares how many malwares you will have on your computer.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  11. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

"good Av for high risk surfers?"

If I was doing high risk surfing (which I do occasionally) I would only use Nod32, Kaspersky or Antivir (paid or free). However, as mentioned above, for a high risk surfer you need (a lot) more than an antivirus as even the very best AV's miss samples every single day. But since your question is for an AV then I would recommend one of the three above.

Londonbeat

12. Banshee

I also added that ,maybe, u need more ..like ..."ssm".Maybe ? lol.I agree with you about nod and kav being the best out there

13. yaggy

yaggy Registered Member

Firefox + Noscript + Adblock
    Norton GoBack

Nothing else needed !!!!! for "High Risk Surfing"

14. ErikAlbert

The crucial question : Do you really want a guaranteed malware-free computer back after dangerous surfing or not.

If you don't really want that, than any combination of the best security softwares is good enough. That kind of security is more psychological, you believe in what security softwares are telling you or you don't, but that doesn't mean your computer is malware-free.

A guaranteed malware-free computer requires a different approach.

15. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I haven't noticed anything that affect my surfing with JAVA turned off (or on for that matter).
    I started to turn off JAVA in Firefox years ago coz I couldn't figure out why it should be enabled. (maybe someone can explain what good JAVA does in Firefox? )
    Maybe I shouldn't have included "java turned off" in my first post but my guess is JAVA can be used as a method to compromise a computer? But since I cant see any use with JAVA I just turn it off.

16. Banshee

17. ErikAlbert

No not at all. It depends on what you consider as malware-free.

For instance, the very best scanners tell you : "No threats found." Is that enough for you to consider your computer as malware-free. If not, what do you need more to be reassured ?

18. Banshee

I consider malware-free a pc that has no malware.a clean pc. How do I know it is malware free ? well if I scan it with 2 or 3 diff software and they all "agree" it's malware free I have to believe it is.do I have any other choice ?

19. ErikAlbert

No, you don't have any other choice, if you use 2 or 3 or more scanners.
    Everybody knows at Wilders, that scanners aren't perfect and these scanners won't tell you about the malwares, they didn't find.
    So your computer isn't guaranteed malware-free, your computer is malware-free in your mind, because your scanners are telling this.

20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im a high risk surfer and nod32/antivir/kav (not together of course) have done well in protecting my computer. coupled with a good firewall and firefox w/ noscript, you should be plenty safe.

u can use a rollback solution as suggested by erikalbert, but its all a matter of preference.

21. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

When it comes to surfing I swim with sharks, IMO nothing beats a Linux live CD :D

For windows I use Firefox, Sandboxie and avast! (I like AntiVir), nothing I've done has beat this.

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Erik is basically right. There's no garantee. But still that's why i like Prevx1. Something can slip by, if it's not visible to Prevx1, other than that it should at least clean very well; better than anything else, as for the concept of the product is concerned. It just has to get to that point where nothing gets by it (would it be even possible?:eek: )
    So yes, 1st sandbox, then whatever!

But i'd add PeerGuardian2, to block the worst and well known IP's

23. Banshee

Fastgame,

For windows I use Firefox, Sandboxie and avast! (I like AntiVir), nothing I've done has beat this.[/QUOTE]

Avast ? It is not a top tier and it has no heuristics (that I know of).Do you go to dangerous sites and rely on avast ?I would have a hard time doing that.Ok u have sandboxie but you never know.

24. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Banshee

Even if you use a virtual environment (i do), you will still need an AV at the very least with your kind of surfing in mind (high risk),, because while you're online you still vulnerable to snooping, so lets say you surfe for a while and then delete the session and think you're fine, there could in fact be someone who have grapped your passwords, personal info etc while you were unprotected online!

25. Banshee

Don Pelotas,

I do use an AV. I was quoting before and I forgot to include the ".It should have been:

Fastgame,

>For windows I use Firefox, Sandboxie and avast! (I like AntiVir), nothing I've >done has beat this.[/quote]

Avast ? It is not a top tier and it has no heuristics (that I know of).Do you go to dangerous sites and rely on avast ?I would have a hard time doing that.Ok u have sandboxie but you never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.