Good and Fast Combo!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Big Apple, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Sick of all trouble about slowdowns, updates and configurations?
    Put on AVG Pro and SuperAntispyware Pro and you're all set, believe me!
    The only thing to put a checkmark on within Avg is: 'scan potentially unwanted programs' in the Resident Shield screen.
    Avg is detecting more than ever!!
    Don't start bashing this at forehand, just try it and you'll see.
    Man....oh man, what a delight in this thick forest of hard to get up and running Av scanners.
    ;)

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@Big Apple

Should I use Grisoft products , I would change AVG Pro with AVG Anti-Malware ;)

3. Big Apple

Yes, I know its good, but I have been running Avg Pro + Avg Antispyware separate and that slows down a little as well and this combo just runs fantastic and let's be honest....SuperAntispyware is rated very highly and so is Avg at the moment.......Oh damn....I forgot, you don't believe in ratings! :D

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

AVG Pro and SuperAntispyware Pro does sound like a very lightweight combo indeed. Light on the pocket-book, too! Could be a suite deal for a safe-surfer!!!

5. Big Apple

Yes, indeed, but why for safe surfers only?

6. 19monty64

Not-so-safe-surfers may want more layers of protection, and the safe-surfer doesn't need to over-load the security-apps, is all I meant...

7. Big Apple

Right. Besides this combo, a firewall of some sort should also be used ofcourse.

8. 19monty64

Sorry 'bout that, I thought AVG-Pro was the AV + FW set, so that the combo included AV, AS & FW. In that case XP/Vista-FW could be used for lightness.

9. Big Apple

That's what I use indeed and I'm behind a dsl modem with built-in firewall.

10. 19monty64

The only security I have load on start-up is AntiVir, ThreatFire & TinyWatcher-no firewall, just router. A light-weight combo of my own.

11. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

I use AVG Pro+Windows Vista Firewall+Windows Defender.More than enough for me and this combo is very light and very fast.

12. Big Apple

Sounds good and keep it up with the 'lightness'. ;)

13. Big Apple

I had the same and still have but added SuperAntispyware. No hassle with all those complicated 'problems'.

I think it's time for a clear view at this whole security thing. Everybody seems to panic whenever something new comes out, same with AV tests....everybody stressing to get all security changed again.

14. 19monty64

Not all are safe-surfers. Many here are also beta-testers that help refine the solutions that the safe-surfers can benefit from. Testing a lot of different softwares can become addictive, as it gets hard to part with something that you may have helped in the development of. Just food for thought though...

15. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Just a question - what about running the free versions ov AVG and SuperAntiSpyware? I know you would miss realtime scanning of spyware and maybe some configuration options in AVG (not sure of that) but should not miss any detection difference I would think. Could be off base but maybe someone can clarify this. Thanks.

Gary

16. Big Apple

Running Avg Free would be good as well, the only thing that misses is: detection of Potentially Unwanted Programs, but with combined with SuperAntispyware Pro in real-time, I wouldn't hesitate running it.
    I would even consider using both free programs, but my feeling says: No, it's to basic.
    Also, I like to have everyting running in real-time, as it may take a hell of a lot of work to clean up a pc, hit with bad stuff.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  17. Big Apple

I do a lot of beta testing, but sometimes I get very tired of dealing with many bugs and configurations and I also wonder if it is safe enough to just use a beta program and therefore I dumped all of them at the moment and went for this combo, just to have peace of mind for a while.

Betatesting is fun, but I find most new scanners still very complicated and that disappoints me.
    Another 'great feeling' just released Av scanner is: Norton AV 2008, but it remains 'big', the American way. Same for Nis 2008, works great and light, but it's 'big' feeling bothers me.

18. Big Apple

Honestly.......dump all those 'so called' #1 programs, they're all
    unnecessarily too heavy/complicated. Go for the simple 'good' stuff! At least give it a good try and it gives you peace of mind regarding configurations etc.
    Just read all the threads regarding Kav/Kis, man... oh man....it amazes me that there are so many people still using it.

For Avg Pro and SuperAntispyware Pro you are just $ 59,90 lighter and you'll have two great running programs.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  19. omegakilo

omegakilo Guest

I agree, it really gives me a peace of mind.
    I use NOD32, SAS Pro, and a XP built-in firewall.
    So far, so good.

20. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Weel, could always run something like Returnil on its own or one of the many virtual apps, behind a hardware firewall and run even lighter. Can always scan with an online scanner every once in a while to remember what scanning was.

21. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

@ Big Apple,

Very interesting thread. What is your take on running either NOD32 or Avire Personal Premium with SuperAntispyware Pro? What did you no like about those combinations compared to what you suggest? Did they slow your machine down in any way?

Thanks.

Gary

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This thread is clearly heading into the A Vs B category. Per this post this thread is now closed

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.