Goldman Sachs: Windows' true market share is just 20%

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tgell, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Article

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I am sure Microsoft noticed that also, that's why they came up with Windows 8. The battlefield for Microsoft is called "mobile" and the enemy "Apple".

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, what about their plans for subscription charges for MS Office? :eek:

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

With the increase in the usage of
    Smart Phones and Tablet devices,
    things won't be the same for Microsoft...;)

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've got an Android phone and two Android tablets. But I rarely use my tablets, and I use my PCs much more than I use my phone.

I don't think it is fair to consider smart phones at part of the "global computing market." Smart phones are not going to replace PCs or tablets anytime soon. Given the choice between a phone, a tablet or a PC, PCs will win every time for me.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree in that I'd hate to see the desktop or laptop market die out too as I prefer that to the mobile stuff. But... It does appear that more and more people are using mobile devices and perhaps less and less people, especially young people, are using the older traditional desktop and laptop. Maybe there are less and less people doing any serious computing nowadays.. I don't know.

7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

While the computing ecosystem is changing, the traditional computing devices won't die just yet...things like audio/video/photo editing and business administration (inc. accounts) for example are done with those and cannot be entirely replaced with the smaller mobile devices. The increase use of mobile devices is imo mainly among consumers who have previously purchased their desktops/laptops primarily as a mean to get onto the web (browsing, email and social networking stuff). These same consumers are now getting the mobile devices to fit these basic needs with the advantage of portability. In other words, the 2 classes of computing devices actually appeal to several target audiences. While they may overlap in certain areas, to say that one replaces the other isn't quite the case.

No doubt it's true that more platforms are available for the masses; and that more people are using these platforms. However, to say that "Microsoft is in danger of becoming a small player in today's global computing market" is more of an exaggeration than a reality check. It's NOT false or misleading but it's purposely hyped to get the attention of readers .

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You can't bundle them into a single basket.
    Those are separate markets.

Like counting bicycles and motorbikes and trucks alongside cars. Wrong.

Each serves its own function.

Every mobile user has at least one pc with Windows. All is well.

Why not count routers, TVs and fridges. Then you get 100% Linux prevalence.

Bollocks.

Mrk

9. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

The bank probably wants to buy some Microsoft shares...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.