going well with norton ghost 10 ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Huupi, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hi there Are FD and Norton Ghost 10 friends or what....I installed FD,everything ok thereafter i made a image with Ghost and checked the image on my ext.drive,whatever i try can't open the image not from within Ghost app.or direct at the external drive,uninstalled FD and than everything ok.
    Are these known issues with Ghost(support can"t help,we investigate)Maybe some people can tell using both.
    thanks.

2. XandroZ

XandroZ Registered Member

I used ghost ,but .. now I use Acronis True Image

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Huupi,
    If Norton Ghost did a good job BEFORE you installed FD-ISR, you know at least that Norton Ghost was compatible with your total system. With doing a good job, I mean that you tested the restoration of Norton Ghost very well and not only the backup.

If Norton Ghost doesn't do a good job anymore AFTER installing FD-ISR and FD-ISR is working properly on its own, you have a good indication that Norton Ghost isn't compatible with FD-ISR.
    In that case you better switch to another image backup software, like Acronis or Terabyte.

You have to do these tests yourself, because some people have troubles :
    - with certain image backup softwares and others not.
    - with certain immediate system recovery softwares and others not.
    - with certain combinations of both and others not.
    The bottom line is that it has to work on YOUR computer, no matter what people are telling you.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

thanks sofar, Erik Albert you are right PC's are misterious things,before FD Ghost saved my a few times.In my case Ghost works.problems arise after FD install as described in my first post.Another point ,at the time i have the english build downloaded (....164) from Raxco but i am on the dutch version of windows,and today i got the confirmation from support----no support for non English versions of windows,next builds 169 and 172 are internationalized ! Hey Erik you are from Belgium ,kind of neighbour i think,which version of Windows do you use ( french or dutch)and which FD build is installed ? Now i have to wait awhile for the next FD release and see how Ghost is keeping up with the internationalized version.Ofcourse you can install early FD builds on non English versions(install no problems,taking snapshots a breeze ,thereafter things went wrong, after reboot to the second snapshot prebootscreen came up after selecting second it boot again in the first initial snapshot,Ghostimages not accessible while FD is on he system,maybe problems due to not having the right FD version on my Dutch Windows,I hope so

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

According Help/About FirstDefense-ISR, I use :
    Product: FirstDefense-ISR 2000/XP Professional
    Version: 1.05 Build 166

Which is of course the English version from Raxco after I bought it.

Operating System :
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 - English

Although my first language is Dutch, I'm used to English regarding computers and all my softwares are in English as well.
    English is for me the ONLY language of computers and I don't like the translations in Dutch either because they confuse me.
    According my readings, non-English versions cause several problems :
    1. Not every software is available in Dutch, which causes a mixture of English and Dutch softwares on my computer.
    2. Some third party softwares do NOT work with non-English Windows versions
    3. When there is an upgrade, it's possible, I have to wait for the Dutch upgrade.
    4. I read often on software websites : "For English versions only", which is a problem, because I can't use it if I have the Dutch version.

That's why I always use the English version of Windows and any other software. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.