Going try something new. Bold but maybe stupid.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Sure they "might" start using exploits that worked years ago , but anything "might" happen.
    The question is why would they. Thats what I mean about perspective.
    Its no use going on about security if you don't take some interest in the how and why that malware
    comes into being in the first place.

You didn't explicitly state it was a common issue , but by always mentioning it when discussing AE type security , you clearly imply its a factor worth considering.
    Now the reality is that its not , for the simple reason that the usage of script-only malware is close to 0%.

You seem to feel your setup is much superior to other's here.
    Your setup is as much "overkill" in terms of what a normal user would do ,as the guy with loads of apps.
    You simply have a different sort of inconvience to deal with.
    You have to decide if a file is trusted ,then logging into admin for installs , windows updates .
    They have hips prompts in various forms.

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Interesting ( and your recent epiphany/road to damascus exp too :) )
    Not quite naked: Still wearing underpants eh ?
    !!!
    LOL: never mind the teens..... Kawasaki nomad eh ?
    : What type of pRon is that ? sounds interesting :eek: :D
    ( :) my first bike a Kwaka 650Z : sooo much fun and sooo feckin dangerous )

Will be interested to hear how this goes.

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It makes no sense to assemble a security package that only defends against those things that the user thinks is common or likely. By the time a malware or exploit is common or likely to be encountered, it's widespread. Yes, anything might happen. Methods and tactics that are common today were science fiction a few years ago. The only constant is that malware, exploits, and methods of attack will keep changing and improving. Defending against only what is common or likely is far too complacent.

It doesn't require a large quantity of security apps to be protected against new malware or exploits, or uncommon methods of attack. Windows has enough built in tools to do most of it. Even if you're completely paranoid, a maximum of 4 lightweight security apps can protect you from just about anything while using less memory and disk space than any AV, and at little or no cost.

The majority of malware might be "all about the money" but not all of it. The most dangerous malware comes from professional coders, but there's still plenty of script kiddies, hacker wannabe's, and basic idiots out there who don't need a reason to excercise their egos at someone elses expense. A couple years back, I ran into an individual at another forum looking for help. Someone was tapping her communications, reading her e-mail, etc. I helped her remove a trojan from her system and immediately came under attack from her ex boyfriend who put the trojan there. Helping someone on a forum similar to this one was sufficient reason to be attacked.

4. Joeythedude

So you defend against things that are uncommon and unlikely ?
    To me that's being paranoid.

I agree. In some ways your contradictating your first point .
    The important thing is having some awareness as to whats going on now / what is the main trend.
    Script kiddies were all the rage years ago , now its money , rougue AV's etc.

5. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It doesn't require anything additional to preempt new or unusual methods of attack and most new software exploits. No matter what the method of infiltration, there has to be a payload or undesirable use of an existing app for malicious activity to happen. Default-deny defends this by design. The unknown isn't allowed to execute, and the activities of those apps that are allowed is also restricted.
    Human nature hasn't changed. An event like this is just as likely today as it was a few years ago. With the availability of malware kits, it's more likely. It's also more likely that a script kiddie or wanna-be hacker has access to tools that can build real custom malware in a very short time. The odds of contacting or being hit by any single threat, exploit, etc is low. Multiply that by the quantity of malware variants, custom malware, and available exploits and the odds of contacting something that's not common becomes much more likely. As I mentioned earlier, I've captured and submitted 2 variants that were new to the AV vendors. I didn't go looking for them. Found them during normal usage. This isn't old history. Variants of one of them are still in circulation. The exact same thing is just as likely today as it was then. The only difference would be in the malware itself.

6. Joeythedude

I'm not too concerned about what your setup is.

As I have posted on other occasions, I would be concerned that someone reading your posts would be mislead
    by them

7. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Now Wilders ranks first for that, and some guy wanting top pump his tyres up is going to get very confused and think he needs a LUA/SRP adapter to do it. :D

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

LMAO, that made me laugh so hard :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.