GodBlock filter blocks religious propaganda

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pinga, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

http://www.godblock.com/

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Hmmm... I'm not particularly religious but I never thought I'd see the phrase "protect their kids from the often violent, sexual, and psychologically harmful material in many holy texts".

I wonder how popular this is??

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

"GodBlock. . .Right," he says while slowly nodding and sucking teeth.

How about - DickBlock Web Filter - to protect their kids from the often violent, sexual, and psychologically harmful material in Moby Dick?

Will it be possible for people to bypass the GodBlock by using a proxy site?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

They included Muslims in the blocking too? Oh, when the media gets a hold of this the fireworks will fly. Okay, I'm stopping right there before this thread gets shut down. I'll leave with this thought: Whatever happened to thinking for yourself? Parents need to watch their kids instead of a program doing it.

5. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

A lot of sense that makes, blocking the content of religious texts while everyday TV, including the news, pours out the same thing. Whoever came up with this idea of shielding kids from normal life needs to open their eyes. You can't teach kids what's right and wrong, good and bad in life by hiding it from them.

I have no doubts about what this is, who is supporting it and what they really want to block, but voicing it in this forum would get the thread locked.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  6. noone_particular

Slightly off topic, but this thread makes me want to ask it. Not including instances where anyone might have been actually looking for religious material, how often do any of you actually encouter "religious propaganda"? Compared to how often you find sexually explicit material? Get rich quick schemes? I've seen very little of this "propaganda" as they call it.

7. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

sounds like part of an agenda....yeah.

8. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

On the net that would be Never. That can't be said for the propaganda of pecker pill pushing pimps though.

9. noone_particular

Definitely. If they want to block something, that would be the place to start. Those are among the most disgusting things on the web. Fortunately for me, Proxomitron blocks most of them. (referrs to above "pill pusher" statement).

Wonder if this covers extremist groups, militants, etc or just singles out religious material. Terrible stuff. Those passages that say "love not the world or the things in this world" are bad for business. They're stifling free enterprise and consumer spending!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I really hope there is at least an ounce of sarcasm in that, otherwise..oh man. On topic, I'm tempted to download this thing and go to a few places not accessible via Google, just to see what this thing can really do and get an idea of its real intentions.

11. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi:

this site could be pervading Trojan itself. ;)

I have enough site blockers and IP blockers to deal with this crap.

The OP could help us by giving a reference on where this came from.

Anyway, I'll check the site itself and see if it is a "baddie"

@ dw426 why not you do your checks and we can meet back here posting with our findings. ?

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I would if the thing was ready. It says "not ready yet"?...yet this nutcase is accepting donations for stickers. I'm sure he is. If I chose to, my brain could be my "GodBlock". By the way, he's so worried about indoctrinating children, yet he proudly posts a picture of a little girl showing off her sticker...so I'm assuming he's against the idea of kids even having the option to explore these ideas and decide for themselves?

13. noone_particular

Just about all of it was. But considering that I never see this "propaganda" anywhere unless I'm actually looking for it, I have to wonder just what they're so afraid of that they feel the need to write an app to block it.

If you're going to test this thing, I hope it's in a dedicated test unit or well protected virtual machine. I'm somewhat curious about it as well, but not enough so to waste the time on it.

14. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Here are the results, as dw426 said the site is begging for $5.00 donations and asking for email addresses. Apprears to be pointing to someone in NJ on Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless. So guy is wireless.

I'm waiting for my join email.

Here are my technical results so far ( I had to remove some material from his site in this post as it I think violates Wilder's policy on religious content:)

http://www.godblock.com/

becomes 69.163.217.172 phishtank says safe

Country Name: US - United States
    IP Address: 69.163.217.172
    Reverse Lookup: ps19665.dreamhost.com tried to go to it, site temporaily unavailable !

While in the site I got these blocks

75.101.148.217:80 PeerBlock blocked it AP2P on Amazon EC2 Cloud
    74.125.113.93:443 PeerBlock blocked it Google
    74.125.113.136:443 PeerBlock blocked it Google
    74.125.113.91:443 PeerBlock blocked it Google
    74.125.113.190:443 PeerBlock blocked it Google

Decided to join them only an idoit does this!

75.199.208.30 sent disposable addy and false name in. Not blocked marked safe no PeerBlock

Here is the data on these sites note old registration dates

OrgName: Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless
    OrgID: CLLC
    Address: 180 Washington Valley Road
    City: Bedminster
    StateProv: NJ
    PostalCode: 07039

NetRange: 75.192.0.0 - 75.255.255.255
    CIDR: 75.192.0.0/10
    NetName: WIRELESSDATANEWORK
    NetHandle: NET-75-192-0-0-1
    Parent: NET-75-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Allocation
    NameServer: CARKDNS.VZWDOMAIN.COM
    NameServer: NJBRDNS.VZWDOMAIN.COM
    Comment:
    RegDate: 2006-01-18
    Updated: 2007-01-22

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE716-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName: Abuse
    OrgAbusePhone: +1-800-770-1779
    OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@verizonwireless.com

OrgTechHandle: MGE16-ARIN
    OrgTechName: George, Matt
    OrgTechPhone: +1-908-306-7000
    OrgTechEmail: abuse@verizonwireless.com

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2010-07-08 20:00
    # Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.
    #
    # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
    # available at https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
    #
    # Attention! Changes are coming to ARIN's Whois service on June 26.
    # See https://www.arin.net/features/whois for details on the improvements.

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I think it many ways, this isn't even needed in todays generations. Makeup, playstations and guys/girls are more important.

16. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

WOT is green for me on the website, but that doesn't mean that this still isn't a scam. I've seen articles mentioning this program all the way back to January of 2009. I have serious doubts a web filter takes that long to put out, unless the guy has no clue what he's doing. In which case of course, all are advised to stay the hell away from it. Personally the more I explore this, the more I think he's the one with the agenda, not the religious groups he is trying to "protect" people from. It's probably time to let this one die, it doesn't seem to be worth discussing.

18. noone_particular

I see it says it's for XP or Vista. Wonder if it would work on a virtual 2K system. The description makes me think it uses text matching. Would be interesting to see its database or word list, and what filtering app if any it's based on. This is one of those instances where I wish I had the time to waste. I'd like to dismantle it and get some indication of the motive behind it.

19. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Hmmmm, religion has gone "viral"o_O What a concept!:p

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Newsflash, banning it isn't going to do a thing to protect children. Look at the books that have been banned, kids are still being exposed to not so nice things. I love how everyone attacks religion, but shoving political agendas down a kids throat in school, well, that's just "progress and educating". Everyone has the right to their opinion and their beliefs, not just some of us. Don't want to believe in any god? Great, not a problem, but don't even attempt to try and take away someones rights because you don't like it. Protect your minor like a parent should and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

Edit: I want to add that this post isn't an attack on you, SiberianWolf. I'm just sick and tired of people passing the blame and pointing fingers at others instead of looking at themselves. Is there religious propaganda? Of course there is, in every religion of the world. There is also political propaganda as well, but nobody is pushing politicians off of TV, radio, and banning books and websites by them. Religion has its good and bad people, just like everything else in this life. But, getting rid of it because of a few bad apples doesn't make this world a better place, it only takes away another of the precious few rights and freedoms that a lot of people on this earth have left.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  21. yoganaut

yoganaut Registered Member

Like one poster on the site says, "I wonder if it will keep those angel chain letters away..." :D

People donate TO religion, I guess it's not a stretch to donate to an Anti-religion..

To get back OT, like you said earlier, DW, a year to bring it out?

Maybe it is harvesting emails, it sure smells to high heaven to me.. :)

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, I smell scam. But I do admit it amazes me who and what people will blame for their failure to be a good, watchful parent and for other problems in the world. Religion, music, TV, books, all of it destroys progress and keeps people uneducated. Free thinkers, we're a dangerous sort. :cautious: :thumbd:

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh, of course I remember all that, just as I remember that the Crusades, the Inquisition, among other sad moments in history were power grabs in the name of Christianity and not truly about "spreading the Word". In my religion, (yes, I believe in God), religious oppression is the exact opposite of what we are supposed to do. It is about freedom of choice, you either believe, or you do not. There are no sessions on the Rack, burning at the stake for supposed heresy, or anything else. Oppression is a product of humanity, not religion.

The thing is, science and religion can get along just fine if people would let it. I believe science was given to us to help us understand things we otherwise would have no chance of understanding. There is nothing wrong with the theory of evolution, it's been shown that animals, plants, and even we evolve to changes. But let's face the truth here, just about any science involving the universe is a tiny bit of fact and a LOT of guessing based on tools we have. I could discuss how impossible it is that the universe is the way it is simply by chance all day long with you, but this isn't the place. I just don't see why religion is always the scapegoat for problems with the world and humanity.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And my last word will have to be that you're either open minded or you are not. We will part ways and beliefs here on friendly terms, because, as I said, we all have choices in what we choose to believe and think. Neither side is right or wrong. :)

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

The thread has already veered off the software/security focus onto more generic commentary that's not the focus of this forum. In fact, given the path this thread has followed, as well as it's subject title, it will likely trend towards that direction again.

Since the thread is at a decent point now, it will now be closed. If you wish to discuss science/religion/etc. in a broader social or philosphical context, feel free to do so at some other locale with that focus.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.