GoboLinux, a distribution which redefines the entire filesystem hierarchy.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Pedro, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

http://www.gobolinux.org/

Learn more...

NetBSD interviews GoboLinux developer on Package Management and Build System

I mentioned to Mrkvonic in another thread, kind of kidding, but the thing is, i'm finding it most interesting.
    It could to take a bit of my attention from Debian. I still love Debian, i've messed with it doing a few horrible things (do NOT mix stable with testing! :D ) and it still ticks. I'll be a fan for a long time.

But this whole new approach makes sense to this noob - me.
    Am i missing something? Alphalutra, Mrk, Iceni, GlobalForce, nickr, wilbertnl, all you guys i forgot to name! :p

Announcing the 014.01-beta1 (its my birthday!!) LiveCD

I hope you see the thread..

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Scrolling down the NetBSD interviews, one reads about "The Zero Install system", wow, maybe i should scroll up too. Lots of ideas boiling!

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Worked ok off the live cd so I tried to install into a 20 gig drive twice and after reboot it comes up looking for a mac address.:thumbd:

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I'll have to check it out of course.

As to redefining the fs hierarchy, I actually like it the way it is. The hierarchy has been developed for approx. 30 years. That's not something that will change in a manner of hours...

And since the compatibility backwards to Linux is retained, seems to me there's be a whole lot of symbolic links all over the place...

Mrk

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Seems a bit odd, in that they have a nice neat structure, but then need loads of links to make it all work, cant understand how that is better/easier than using a package manager.

Would be interesting to see how I would actually check for upgrades of the distro, do their tools have to scan every folder (and build a list of current files) then check against server (why is this better than using a traditional package manager ?) dependency handling, if I upgrade GTK, how does the system get the apps that depend on it to use.

And then all those links, gonna have to have some robust scripts to manage them and prevent the system blowing up (I've seen a red hat server stuck in sym link hell before).

Will be worth having a play with the livecd at some point though.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Mrk, i understand what you're saying, and apparently so does the developer.
    It doesn't seem that it will have symlinks scattered, it looks organized. I mean, a symlink will be in the /System/Links tree, pointing to the legacy tree. It can't be that bad :D
    http://www.packtpub.com/article/GoboLinux-An-Interview-with-Lucas-Villa

There are other questions that arise for me, like consequences for security, since it is another structure. He refers to a rootless install for instance:
    Do note that it's not to make it work, but to be compatible with the "legacy tree". Or so i think.
    I thought this was useful info too:

I agree :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.