Go on the Internet without a router?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by JerryM, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been involved in a discussion regarding security of going on the internet when away from home. That limits the amount of trouble that I am willing to go to.
    One poster stated he would not go on the internet without a router. It seems that there are those who have programs that search for those on the internet, and will get passwords, etc.

It seems to me that the anti-malware programs that we normally use here, and a good firewall should provide adequate protection. I do not want to or plan to get a portable router to carry along.

I fail to see that surfing away from home is less secure than at home without a router.

How many here would not go on the internet unless you would be behind a router? When travelling I would either be wireless or dial up.

I seems to me that we can get so "worried" about security that it is not worth the effort to do all one can imagine to remain safe.

I would appreciate any comments regarding this security issue.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Most wireless may even have routers?

I only surf at known places like my university. And I know exactly what kind of security measures they are packing. Although, software firewall is adequate protection IMHO. Routers though add a nice protection layer to keep your computer from being exposed directly to the WWW.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I've never had a router, if I did I would still insist on a software firewall for its outbound protection.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'd agree. The basic functionality of a router and a software firewall overlap, the major advantage of a router being that the computing overhead is shifted off the PC and that misconfiguration is less likely.
    It's not.
    Having either a router or a software firewall is prudent.
    The key question is whether you get a routable IP or if you are on a local router and don't quite realize it.
    This is always the issue in risk management, regardless of situation. You name the risky activity, and the same discuss applies.

Blue

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Don't let paranoids eat you.
    Surfing from x spot is no different from y spot. All that matters is what you do. Get a software firewall and you'll be fine. I never used commercial routers. I can build my own for 0 money.
    Stick into your arsenal a decent av, anti-this-and-that, and of course a non-IE browser, and you'll be fine.
    Mrk

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I realize that there is always some degree of probability that someone can hack a system. However, I know that my chances of being killed might be reduced by wearing a protective vest, but I am not going to that trouble unlesss that is my job.

I guess it is making an assessment of risks, and how much security you are willing to use. Sometimes I think I may be paranoid until another one pops up.

I am going to depend on BD9, Ewido +, LnS firewall, Spysweeper, Snoopfree, UnHackMe, and a lot of antispyware stuff. And I also use FF and Opera. I never use IE unless the site won't accept anything else.

Thanks, again. I appreciate the help.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.