gnutella

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by waters, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Hi.
    In look n stop log i get tcp block incoming ports dest gnutellA 1
    This is happening every second .
    Shareaze uses gnutella but sinse this bothers me i have uninstalled it .
    When nothing is running i still get this every second in the log .
    Can someone please explain what is going on.
    How do i stop this.
    I passed all tests at shields up.

2. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

waters,
    As long as it is incoming traffic, which is blocked by one of your rules I wouldn't worry. I assume that you have dynamic IPs, so with every login you can use an IP that was used before by someone, who did run gnutella P2P. And what you see is the other Gnutella users still trying to connect to this IP address not knowing that the machine and user have changed.

Just ignore it!

Thomas :)

3. waters

waters Registered Member

Thanks,will it eventually stop

4. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello Waters,

It 's funny you should bring that up,I have no peer-to peer software on my computer,or Shareaze but I was getting the same alerts as you are getting,could not figuire it out,but they tried for about two weeks to connect to my computer ,but LnS kept them out,not sure if it was a port scan,or a hacker?,but the alerts of gnutella were coming in every 15 minutes,I would not worry about it,but would do a trojan scan just encase Shareaze left something on your system,and if your
    stealth on all the on-line tests I don't see how they can make a connectin,but is strange where are this alerts coming from? since I had nothing on my system,it went away after my IP changed, usually every two-3 weeks and so far have never seen a gnutella alert again!

You can alway's add it to you internet filtering rules and block a range of that IP and you well get alerts of the blocked IP range,but I found LnS would stop it with out making a rule,but just another way to stop this.

Hello Thomas,

Thank you, I understand,never thought of that possibility.

5. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

You could create a specific blocking rule for this ports for inbound traffic in Internet filtering and unmark the warn tag in this rule. By doing so the traffic is blocked without notifying you all the time.

Manually disconnecting from the internet might also help, since you can expect to get a new IP with your next login. And maybe this IP was not used by one of these P2P - zombies ;)

Thomas :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.