Gnome Shell

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been using Unity since the first day of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. But after the last updates unity is crashing twice a day.One time I got an Xorg crash too.I am not using any proprietry drivers and I am not using backports.I might give a try to the Gnome Shell.Is it supported as unity 5 years? Is installing the gnome shell same as installing a new environment such as xfce.Are there any conflicts?
    I have read that installing the gnome-shell-gnome-tweak- tool installs the gnome shell.Do you recommend it? Please tell me your experiences about the gnome-shell.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    Memory 7.7 GB
    Processor Intel core i3-2120CPU@3.30 GHZx4
    Graphics Intel Sandybridge desktop
    OS Type 64 bit
    Disk 483.9 GB

Graphics Experience Standart

2. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

Yes, Gnome 3.4.

The package gnome-shell-core will give you MUCH less other Gnome bloat than the full gnome metapackage. Even then you can use Synaptic to pull out stuff you don't want. I can't comment on clashes with Unity, they're just using some common libraries so there shouldn't be problems.

gnome-tweak-tool is what you're thinking of. It doesn't install Gnome on its own but it will bring in something like 70 MB of Gnome packages. There's now a Unity tweak tool out which lets you change the icon theme without incurring this extra bloat. I've not used it though.

You are brave, young Jedi. Whatever you do, you should try Gnome 3 in Fedora or whatever else before you install anything. It's not for everyone.

I love Gnome 3 on my laptop. Gnome Tweak Tool and a handful of extensions are what makes that possible. Otherwise..no. Gnome 3 has made me an Alt-Tab freak and now I'm used to that rather than moving a cursor up to the window panel. I'm on Gnome 3.6 with Quantal and it's fragile compared to Precise, IMO. Alt+F2 and r I use more often than I'd like. If you don't like Gnome 3, the more traditional Cinnamon is only 12 packages away.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I'd recommend Cinnamon. It maintains the traditional desktop metaphor and is a lot easier and more familiar to work on. Alternatively, you can install the new Consort Desktop being developed by Soleus which recreates Classic GNOME Fallback mode as a desktop environment in Linux.

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

cinnamon or xfce is much better in my opinion if you dont like unity crashes is nothing to do with desktop environment i guess its kernel problem or some bug it resolve in future changing desktop wont help much in my opinion i got lot of crashes on ubuntu 12.10 feel like windows some time but i still using it. also like to add i use this for testing so lot of crap were i have installed in it :D

also check set your theme to default and check sometimes themes cause problem as well

i suggest you to wait untill next kernel update and then see if problem exist then go for change desktop environment or fresh install or use another distro like linux mint for example but till then wait 80% chances you get your bug resolve on updates

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. cet

cet Registered Member

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

could this be of interest to anyone here?:
    GNOMEbuntu, coming soon:
    http://gnomebuntu.org/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.