Gnome 3 - This is the end, it seems

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

2. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

/noob mode engaged

Is this Gnome Shell 3? Will I be able to run this on Ubuntu 11.04?

I'm not the biggest fan of Unity, more-so because I haven't be able to test it. The interface crashes every time I try and open a new window. But overall I'm not a fan of it period.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, it looks like you will be able to install Gnome 3 in 11.04 although Unity is the default. Should your graphics card not support 3d the install will give you Gnome 2. Here some links:-

https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/ archive/gnome3

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603874

http://maketecheasier.com/gnome-shell-is-almost-ready-to-rock-your-desktop/2011/02/17

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Indeed, a project completely ruined by interface nazis together with retarded design policies and guideliness... Grand fail. R.I.P. :mad: :blink: :thumbd:

I hope Xfce will not going the same way.

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

In my opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Microsoft removed the classic menu from Windows 7 but people have been putting it back in. Human nature likes the familiar.

If its too radical a departure from what people are using, it'll flop.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

7. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Cvette,

'63 Stingray by any chance. :p :)

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

True, but my point was that it's apparently possible for individual distros to undo the lunacy of GNOME 3's design to some degree. The GNOME Shell preview in openSUSE seems fairly usable, and in this light I'd expect others like Ubuntu and Mint to step in and save the day as well.

10. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Oh yeah I have one, in my dreams :D

11. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, in 11.04 but apparently no longer in 11.10 as Unity-2D should be ready by then. (Well, perhaps Gnome will be available via a ppa.) Mark Shuttleworth seems to be very confident that Unity is the way to go ...

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Damn. Time for someone to create Gubuntu.

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Well, I mainly use Windows, but in my pc I always have Ubuntu. Now, what Unity and Gnome 3 GUIs are ? Maclike ? Windowslike ? Ubuntu, but not only, Mint too for exemple, are very friendly for users that are not linuxian native, but they are a " Linux " GUI. I don't understand the need of this new GUI involutions.

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Unity is a bit more Mac-like with minimize/maximize/close buttons on the left, but the similarities end there. I think it looks like either.

15. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

With this link from doktornotor: interface nazis did Linus Torvalds say what's on my mind.
    It's just too bad that those of us who are not into pure eye candy, social networking, and change for change's sake are the ones who are ridiculed.

16. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I think the Unity and GNOME 3 interfaces point forward to the day when people will do things with their fingers... then the arrangement makes much more sense than working it with a mouse. The traditional mouse metaphor doesn't work at all with these GUIs... not as we understand the desktop but it works nicely with the tablet PC.

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

There is not going to be that day. People forget that typing has been around for at least 100 years. There's a reason why things are the way they are.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.