GMAL-01 and Reboot loop

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Blackspear, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

System has been working perfectly, just migrated it to a new hard drive over the last weekend.

Tonight installed a SATA RAID Card a Silicon Image SiI3132 - PCI Express. Everything working perfectly, rebooted the system quite a few times since installing to check everything was ok, and it was.

Re-enabled FD-ISR Pre-boot and also refroze the system.

Restarted and now have the following error on boot:

Error: GMAL-01
    FirstDefense-ISR ERROR - Press any key to boot Windows.

When I do this I receive the following error:

disk read error
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

And then it loops back into the first error about GMAL-01

So how do I get my system back?

Cheers :D

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Blackspear

Well the first and obvious thing would, be to try an uninstall/reinstall of FDISR, but that would be tough if you can't boot at all.

Barring Todd having an answer, you might have to undo what you did, restore an image(Hope you have one) and get it back where you were when you enabled preboot, and at that point, uninstall FDISR, image the system again, and re install FDISR.

I am guessing a bit, but switching to Raid 0 would change the disk size and possibly affect the partition table, where the FDISR code now hides. That may have messed up something.

It's not inherent to Raid 0 as I have FDISR purring on 3 raid 0 systems. Come to think of it you didn't mention which flavor of Raid.

Pete

3. Blackspear

Hi Pete, no the RAID card was used only as BASE (for use with a further SATA drive or CD/DVD ROM) and a DVD ROM is plugged into the RAID card. All the Hard Drives are plugged into the M/board.

I had just made a Acronis True Image on the weekend, but is was wiped when the disk was used on my main system.

I have a very old image, so it looks like I might have to go back to that :rolleyes: Wife is not going to be happy :doubt: :ninja: :D

4. Peter2150

Ouch.

Double Ouch

I am out of idea's, but you might want to wait a bit, in case Todd pop's in.

Pete

5. Blackspear

Yeah tell me about it, but I may just have a sweetener for her with a surprise that will out-do the system loss :ninja: :D

I'd like to be able to slave the drive off my system and pull out some files so it'll start again, but that I'll need some help on doing that, if it is possible.

6. Peter2150

Have you tried something like Acronis Disk Director to see if it can see a lost partition and recover it. Another way to get files off of a non bootable disk is either use Bartpe, or like I am in process of doing. Booting a system with the shadowprotect recovery CD and using their file manager to copy files off of a non bootable disk. I've had some success that way.

Pete

7. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

8. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I just migrated to an Intel X25-M SSD from a couple of WD Raptors in RAID 0 using ShadowProtect. When I booted I got the same error. I have found no solution and am now very happily back on the Raptors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.