GMail antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by HURST, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Hi
    Is there a way to disble GMail virus scanning?
    I have an unknown sample on my account and I need to download it to see if SAS definitions detect it now.
    Until yesterday GMail didn't detect any virus, but today I can't download it (it's a good thing this is being detected though)

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I had thought that was controlled on their end, if so, I'm not sure you can.

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Yeah, so I thought
    Never mind, already got a sample.
    Thanks for the reply.

4. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

If sending executables in general, I have always found it to be best to encrypt the archive when it comes to GMail. Be it infected or clean, when it's encrypted their good-willed intention to protect people does not get into your way :)

I just wish one could turn off that protection in the account settings.

5. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

No option to switch it off...for good reason IMO....because spammers could disable it and send all of their junk through without it being scanned.

6. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Yeah well, if the downloading user can disable it so only upload protection is always enabled, theoretically this wouldn't affect spamming protection.
    Kinda what MSN messenger has. If I don't have resident AV (which I don't), Messenger doesn't let me send executables. If I receive them, I only get a warning ("this can be dangerous") and I can carry on. Still annoying, but it gives me some freedom. (And MSN can be fooled if you rar the executable, so you can send it anyways).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.